The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (51sub), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1091160 03/13/2015 8:22 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 28
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Where is the best pick up points for a Suburban without getting under it to put back on chassis?


52 suburban
48 Palace
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I think it depends on what devices are available to you to lift it. I had a big forklift with 8' long forks. We just shoved them through the back opening and blocked up under the roof.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I had 6 friends who lifted the body onto the frame (and at other times). Three per side, front, middle, rear of each side.

6 guys and a worthless foreman.

You do not want much strain end-to-end because you could crack joints (such as leaded joints at top outside windshield posts).

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
My Suburban's body was painted on the frame.

We placed a 4 mil sheet of plastic covering the entire frame.
The body was then lifted over the plastic and placed on the frame.
The body was then painted.
The paint was then color-sanded/wet-sanded (three people; an all-day job).
The plastic was then removed.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I went through the windows with some lifting slings.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban15.jpg

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
I used a tractor with a bucket and used two tow straps one thru the door windows and one thru the rear side windows By weeds , , , ,

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 28
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 28
thanks for the suggestions, as usual I forgot the basics like its just spent the better part of 2 years getting all dolled up with new paint and glass. So I was worried putting straps thur the windows. Ended up strap the front, Jack the Back, one man, two come-a longs, one floor jack, wood blocks, and about 5 hrs.
Thxs all.


52 suburban
48 Palace

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0