The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (tclederman, 68ironhead, 3B, GMCJammer51, Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, Jon G, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,245
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
Hi Everybody

Been cuttin and grinding most of the winter on my 1952/53 Howard Knapp truck...still waiting for the disc brake kit to show up so I can get it rolling again (dislike jack stand trucks a lot). My past experience driving a vintage vehicle was a 1947 Willys Jeep trying to keep up with traffic flow and once I got it up to 45 ish it would wonder around like a drunkin sailor....how do these vintage trucks handle speeds above 45 mph? Will it be wandering all over the road too??....(I dont want a white knuckle driver again)...where I live speed is king...

Any insight would be great...

MikeC


1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
With all worn steering components replaced and the steering box adjusted per the manual it should steer nicely at any speed.

With stock differential you won't be driving much over 45 in a 1-ton.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
I can drive 70 mph one handed all day long with out worry, but then mine has all new steering parts and a well adjusted steering box.


Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
As Charlie and Joe say, replace all the worn out components,
adjusted properly and some decent radial tires, they drive one
handed without any wonder. They do vibrate and shake all over
at those speeds though and you can forget listening to the radio
unless you've got it turned up all the way or have it wrapped
in a cocoon of sound deadener.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
Hi Cletis

First thing I did on Howard Knapp was lose the vintage rear end and swap in a 1985 Chevy Blazer rear end...not sure what the rear end gearing is but I kinda think it will be better than the stump puller gears that were in that rear-end in stock form...I need at least to be able maintain 55 to 60 mph or I will get run over...

I am glad these things wont wander around...I am rebuilding everything under the front fenders...I will have to read the manual on how to adjust the steering box...I think I am spoiled with being able to daily drive a 1999 S10 and it drives and rides like a car...

Denny I don't listen to the radio in my daily driver now so I wont have to worry about that end of things....I am hoping this will be a fun truck to drive on the road...

MikeC

Last edited by mikec4193; 03/04/2015 8:07 PM.

1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The rear ends were standard 5.38 ratio. How much wider is the Blazer rear end? So, now do you carry two spares?

I exchanged the steering gear in my Jeep with a Hudson steering gear, worked great, they are hard to find now. Today, a Saginaw non-power steering works well. Check out a modern Jeep.

There were/are 11" drum brake kits which are much better than the original 9" brakes.

You could get a Dana 44 front axle(others will work too) and put Blazer front spindles on the 44 to match your rear bolt pattern.

Good luck.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
What's this fear I keep reading about getting ran over or needing to get out of everyones way?? Its a 1ton truck, I always have people slowing down for me giving me the thumbs up. For tires I went with the 235/85r16 which was close to the original bias ply size and that helped significantly with the comfort aspect. As stated earlier keeping everything tight depending on needed replacement parts is the best starting point


1950 Chevy 3800
4-53T Detroit Diesel conversion
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
Hey EdPruss

I swapped out the front axle to a 1/2 ton with 6 lugs on it...I got a set of 1966 Chevy truck steel wheels that all matched...the front end will have CPP disc brake kit on it...based on a full size Chevy car rotors. Shoot the Blazer rear end WMS to WMS is about 65" I think the rear end on the original was about 64" wide..

Diseasel

I live on a state road....speed limit is posted at 45...most folks run over me at that speed...I have to run 55 just to keep up....on the 4 lane road I drive to work it is also a state road posted at 55 mph so you need to run 65 to keep up...this area is not very user friendly for older cars...that is why I am trying to make it this old truck more traffic friendly...I hate holding up traffic when I drive to work...

Hoping and praying this Howard Knapp truck will keep me out of harms way as far as other motorists...and I can smile when I get to where I am going...

Thanks everyone for the helpful insight...

MikeC

Last edited by mikec4193; 03/06/2015 7:53 PM.

1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0