The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (1955 1 Series, 68ironhead, Hotrod Lincoln), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
What's going on here? Rotella T oil (for my Dodge diesel, actually) comes in conventional, fully synthetic and a blend of the two.

Conventional Rot. T - 15W-40
Conv/Synth Blend - 10W-30
Fully Synthetic - 5W-40

It's reasonable that the cold temperature viscosity can tolerate a decrease from 15W to 5W with increasing synthetic since the synthetic is a much better lubricant. Less wear and tear on cold startup.

But why does the operating temperature viscosity for the blend drop to 30 and go back up to 40 for the fully synthetic?

I've noticed this for other brands of oils for diesels. Don't kick me out of here, Cletis! I've asked this on a diesel forum and the post gets hijacked by an oil salesman.


Last edited by Wally / Montana; 02/24/2015 5:43 PM.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Well it doesn't really belong in GTT. I'll move it to Engine and we'll see what the mechanics have to say.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I used 15W40 in my Cummins 14 Liter as well as my 10.7 3engines for over 35 years. I won't mention the brand. I sell Rotella as well as other brands. I had been changing oil at 15,000. I recently switched to synthetic blend and my oil samples still look good at 20,000, And the gauge shows pressure noticeably quicker on cold starts. I cm contemplating switching to full synthetic in my trucks. Possibly buying a 55 gallon drum instead of of 300 gallons in bulk. I use 5w30 full synthetic in my GMC 6 liter.

European engines are very strict about speccing 0W40 and thats what I use in my European engines. Europeans put a lot more effort into engineering instead of meeting emissions like we do.

I will not take a step back to petroleum based lubricants and will probably step up to full synthetic. I have been using synthetic in my transmissions and rears for at least 25 years. We used to rebuild them every 200,000 miles now they go over a million miles if nothing stupid happens to them.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
A video that helps explain what and how a multi-viscosity rating is and how it is measured. The interesting part for me is the "cold" test. The difference between synthetic and other oils is not discussed on this one.

For some information on diesel rated oils this may be helpful.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28576/comparing-gasoline-diesel-engine-oils-
There is a lot going on in your oil that we don't see. Concerns about catalytic converters is only a part of the issue. The temperature that is used in determining viscosity can make a huge difference. Diesel oil is rated different than gas engine oil. I for one don't know a lot about synthetic oil but the makeup in chemical composition will have some effect on mileage/fuel consumption and the contamination levels are I think the biggest differences. I suspect the idea that synthetic is more "slippery" comes from the better fuel consumption with synthetic oils. The fact of life for diesel engines making different contamination in the oil is easy to get. The idea that the oil might change emissions is less obvious. So have I helped? Or did I just open a giant can of worms?


Steve H
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Thanks for the links.

I was mostly wondering about the higher temperature 40 (conven) dropping to 30 (blend) but back up to 40 (full synth). Perhaps if you shoot for a 10W cold viscosity by blending conventional (15W) and full synthetic (5W), the higher temperature viscosity just happens to be 30.

OK, I know I'm being a bit @n@l here but I like things to make sense.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I am not a Mobil distributor. But I think their products guide is very self explanatory as far as synthetic oil goes. Many people don't realize just how many synthetic oils there are for specific purposes.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
The "weight" of any oil is determined by time through a metered orifice at a specific temperature. Conventional, Blended, and full synthetic. The only weight involved is the weight of the volume above the orifice. The cold test determines the lower number on multi-viscosity oils. A 20-50 oil flows like a 50 weight oil but has a cold test result of a conventional 20 weight oil. I have no idea what blending different "weight" oils might produce. I would also have no clue what would happen if you blend a Conventional oil with a Synthetic. Some labels want a complete change out. Drain oil, replace filter before you add their Synthetic to the engine.


Steve H
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
Steve_H is correct. The 'weight' of an oil is derived at the time it takes for a set amount of oil, at a SPECIFIC temp to pass through a measured orifice.

The time is then cross referenced on a chart. The chart has SOME overlap.. and the times are not really that far apart.

Read this and you will be an oil guru:

http://www.synlube.com/viscosit.htm

If you look at this chart HERE

You will see that for SAE 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W and 20 (non-W) the difference is all within 100 points.. out of a scale of a possible 10000 (or 1500 for common grades).




Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Sorry about my poorly worded question. It had nothing to do with the definitions of viscosity or how it's measured. I measured viscosity eons ago in a physical chemistry lab.

I just found it curious that the higher temperature number went from 40 to 30 to 40 with increasing proportion of synthetic. Go figure.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 10
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 10
Wally,

I run Rotella T-6 full synthetic in my diesel dually towing truck.

Someone told me the molecule uniformity of a full synthetic oil provides the best lubrication & particle suspension.

A good oil filter is essential _ I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil filters.

I run year round in all temperature extremes - viscosity does not seem to be an issue.


Jim

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
Wally / Montana
Like you I am far from an oil expert. I suspect the reason they can make a 0w40 full synthetic but only 15w40 or 10w30 dino oil is related to the level of flex afforded by the synthetic process allowing a wider range between hot and cold viscosities. The narrower range possible in dino oil prevents keeping the hot 40 as the cold number is lowered.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0