The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 188 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
I purchased the King Pin set from the fillingstation and it came with what I'm assuming is a new thrust bearing, but it's a solid thick washer. My old roller thrust bearing is shot, so do I replace it with the new thick steel washer and a single dust cap?

If anyone has run into this, please let me know what I need to do for a replacement thrust washer. Also, what is the bronze colored washer for?
Thanks!
Filling station king pin set

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy swenracer, did you receive everything that is shown in the picture of the kit from the Fillingstation website?

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
Hello, I did receive everything shown. I finally figured out the bearing situation. I had to take the Bronze washers and place them on top of each other (bronze facing bronze) and then put the dust covers on the top and bottom of the bronze washers. This then made my new bearing. The king pin kit is all assembled and back on the truck now. Here is a picture:
Thrust washer and king pin

I then placed the spacer back on top of then new washer and it all worked perfect.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy swenracer, there were two steel washers in the picture, not the ones on the cardboard those should be your clearance adjusting shims. Those steel washers should be between the two bronze faces, one steel washer on each side of the truck. If you have bronze against bronze the thrust bearings will destroy themselves quickly, bronze is a "soft" metal and the faces will stick to each other. Remember to lube the thrust bearing when you assemble it, hope that helps.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
Thanks for the caution here. I wish these parts came with directions. The box had no paperwork. I'll put together the other washer as you suggested and then redo the one I finished. The washers on the cardboard are very thin. Just so I'm clear, I'll use the slightly thicker washers between the bronze.

Thanks.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
Hello shop shark, I was able to find this manual for a king pins set like I'm using and it doesn't say anything about placing a washer between the bronze/brass faces. What do you think? Think I might be OK as currently installed?
Link to Speedway thrust bearing instrustions - Line 8.

Take a look at line 8 on page one.
Thanks.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy swenracer, firstly my name is 3B, I am a retired commercial transport mechanic, I have never installed bearing surface to bearing surface on anything in my career. Bearing surfaces are "soft" as I stated above, when bearing surfaces are installed face to face they will gall on one another, if I were doing the job I would install the steel washer between the bearing surfaces.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
Hello 3B, sorry for the mix-up on the name. I'm going to take your advice and use the steel washer. I'll feel better about it. Thanks for all the feedback.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,225
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,225


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0