The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (CuzzFuzz), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108642 03/18/2004 1:23 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 13
8
New Guy
New Guy
8 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 13
I want to replace the wooden floor in my 50 suburban. I want to go back with a stronger wood than was there. Is there anyway to take the original floor out intact so I can make a pattern for the new floor. The best I can tell from how it's bolted in is that it has to come from the bottom. Thanks in advance for any info.....


Anthony McCants

1950 Chevy Suburban
#108643 03/18/2004 2:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
89cutlass,

I am not sure that all 1947.5-1955.5 Suburban rear floors are the same. If your suburban floor is a single piece of plywood (as it is in 1954), it can only be removed (in one piece) in an upward direction. The sidewals below the floor curve inwards and prevent removal in a downwards direction.

You will have to remove the right-angled retainer (ledge) from one side of the interior. This is spot-welded directly aboove the floor (at least 28 spot welds). With the retainer removed from one side, the floor can be angled upwards and removed. I have never done this but have talked with two other people who have.

You say you want to go with a stronger wood - that plywood seems quite strong (if you have plywood).

Tim

#108644 03/27/2004 6:19 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 44
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 44
I just went through this last weekend on my 54. Once I got the retainer from the right side off, I found it near impossible to lift it out. It was binding on the other side. Solution, I took my circular saw right down the middle. I still have my wood for the template.


1954 Chevy 3100 Panel Truck
2004 GMC Yukon
2002 Chevy 1500 4X4
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."
Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777
#108645 03/27/2004 6:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Releasing the bonded side might be assisted by heating the metal lip (I used a heat gun) while sliding at thin putty knife under the metal edge. Mine dropped free of the metal edge.

Tim

#108646 04/18/2004 8:45 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 19
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 19
89cutlass,

Prior to sending my 48 Suburban to Redi-Strip I removed my wood floor like 3100 did - cut it straight down the middle and took the halves out. The two halves make an excellent patern. The plywood used was/is 5/8" marine grade which can be found in a sheet large enough for 1 piece replacement(the price to buy and have it shipped to you might cause you some discomfort) for those who take out the welded on side angles. To reinstall after cutting out in two pieces get two sheets 5/8" a/c(this grade has fewer voids than less expensive grades) plywood, oak if you like, route and join the centers(factory edges) with a hardwood floor spline and glue. I highly recommend dry fitting prior to the glue and spline and install. A couple of handy friends around help also! The "brackets" for mounting original seats can ge routed out and installed after the plywood floor has been installed. Once the wood is in and the underfloor cross sills have been installed the floor should be plenty sturdy.


JohnRJoyner
48 Suburban,55 1st 1/2 ton, 53 GMC

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0