The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108476 12/26/2001 4:34 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
I've just had my '52 Chev cab (inside and out), frame running boards, driveshaft and steering column blasted. I'd say the jury is still out on it. I'm not sure if it's the product that we want for these old girls. Where there was good solid paint it did wonders, nice shiney metal. Where there was rust, the loose stuff is gone. I'd say the whole thing now is a candidate for ZR except that there is a film on the whole thing that is apparently best removed with a mild solution of vinegar and water. I'm told that paint/primer will not adhere to the film that is existing. Anyone else tried this stuff?

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 164
For the guy that is floating that vinegar solution idea, I'd like to take him out back of the wood shed and have a little discuss. Unless the vinegar is fully and I mean FULLY rinsed off, you'll have a reaction between the vinegar and the soda creating sodium acetate which is a really pretty crystaline structure to which every paint will bond. That's the good news. The bad news is that Crystal doesn't stick to the substrate for sour owl feathers........
There has to be something out there better for neutralizing the soda residue than vinegar. I don't know what it might be, Just trying to keep your canucky toosh from getting bit. Oh, and yes, when the ZR falls off, It WILL be the paint's fault, or at least it was with the guy that had the school buses.
Sure wish you had some Prep Step to play with. If you'd like a small bag, give a holler. The Old Post Office should be functional again starting tomorrow, and I love mailing bags of white powder around.....

Bruce Palmer
[email protected]

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
Thanks for the advice. I'm still searching for an answer here. As for the powder I'll tell the Post Office to keep an eye out for white powder from Bruce bin Palmer, I'm sure they'll be impressed.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Fatfenders ]


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0