I know some here have swapped motors, but I have a doner truck (2002 chevy 3/4 ton longbox duramax) that is pretty complete. Im thinking it would be pretty cool to put the duramax in my 49 1 ton longbox. Right now I would really like to swap the cabs and box but the stance of the 02 seems wide for the 49.so maybe my best bet is to put the duramax in the 49 frame? Any insight would be great Pete
Could be a nice swap if it fits. What does your tape measure say? My guess is it won't be simple or cheap. But if it is possible and if you are talented and dedicated then it could be quite nice.
AWESOME!! I'd love to do this but it would cost a lot. Imagine an old stovebolt blowing copious amounts of black diesel smoke... Sweet. (Hope you're not in California!! Whew, Minnesota. How are the emission guidelines there?)
1970 Chevrolet C10 Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny Follow the build in the Project Journal 1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually "Ole Red Girl" In the Stovebolt Gallery More pictures here 1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's Parts trucks- 1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
The guys who like the clouds of black smoke have never seen a clean-running Diesel on a dyno. The engines always LOSE power when the pump pressure/volume is jacked up to make the exhaust pipes smoke! Been there- - -done that, many times! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Blowing the smoke is just for looks. I know it hurts the hobby and I wouldn't do it to my truck either but I am still always impressed when I see a big rig shifting, pulling and the smoke flying! I always wanted I drive those rigs when I was little. I hope I didn't offend anyone. If funds permit, go for it!!
Last edited by Fox; 01/31/20154:29 AM.
1970 Chevrolet C10 Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny Follow the build in the Project Journal 1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually "Ole Red Girl" In the Stovebolt Gallery More pictures here 1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's Parts trucks- 1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
The Duramax is quite a large engine. Especially when you factor in all the plumbing required for the turbo, intercooler, etc...
Not to mention it requires a massive radiator.
These trucks already having clearance issues with the steering column, and radiator even when installing a small block. I can't imagine what a Duramax would be.
I do like the idea of a DMAX in an AD truck, I'm just not for sure how it could be done.
Maybe look into selling your drivetrain and installing a 6.0 LS. Heck, you'd probably end up money ahead.
you could "convert" it into a 1-1/2 ton truck. get the front clip off of a big bolt and that should get you more room. I'm doing that on mine although i'm not planning on an engine transplant. the front clip came with my cab and its just too clean to pass up using. besides i kind of like the proportions of the big front to the cab a little better for a taller truck. still have the smaller front end parts in case i change my mind...
I have 1 ton and 2 ton AD trucks and I can't see that there is any more room under the hood and between the frame in one or the other.
The larger fenders on the (1.5 and) 2 ton are all about fitting larger tires, not engines. The shallower hood on the big truck is because the fenders are taller.
As a duramax driver since 2002, I think it would be AWESOME! I think you would need at 1-1/2 or 2 ton to handle the extra engine weight. I bet it could be done. I bet it wouldn't be easy or cheap! But it would be cool!
I use 2 Duramax diesels in 2 of my transport trucks & love the way they run & pull. I have often thought about a swap into an older model, but I am on the road so much it is hard to work on my own toys let alone start another one! Good luck with the swap & keep us informed on how it goes. Bill
Bill's Auto Works Your QUALITY Stovebolt Transporter | Est. 1983 Read more!
Shout out for Bill! He moved my cab from New Mexico to upstate NY last year ! couldnt be happier! ( well i guess if it were on the frame lol)
Thank you for the shout out! I hope your project is progressing. I will be following this thread, I am interested to see how this works for the OP. Maybe when I slow down in a few years, I will also do the Duramax swap. I have torn into both of mine (injectors & fuel pump in one, injectors & water pump in the other) I am starting to like the design & function of them!
Bill's Auto Works Your QUALITY Stovebolt Transporter | Est. 1983 Read more!
So I got the doner truck out today and started cleaning it up some.it had a small underhood fire that cooked most if not all the wiring on the drivers side of the engine.but for free I can't complain too much.the motor dosen't look that large compared to a small block chevy. I'm going to do some measuring tomorrow and see what is the best approach is here,the major problem I have is I know nothing of diesels.but I guess you have to start somewhere. Not going to get too crazy till it gets warmer here but I need to form a plan. Pete
There are AD fenders, full width, for 20" wheels, however they are rare, I got mine off school bus, so, if you can find some, it might be worth you while to put an AD cab on your Chevy frame and running gear.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
This a video of an AD truck with A F*** turbo diesel in it. They show under the hood and I don't think there is a single square inch left empty. Don't read the comments if you offend easily.
I think I'd rather have a 4 cylinder diesel, as far as space goes. I would NOT want to work under that hood.
I would second doing a 4 cyl. In an AD cab, all cabs are the same, just different fenders.
Putting a 4 cyl. In will give you much experience with diesels, get the job finished, whereas a Duramax might become an insurmountable job. All 4 cyl diesels will tax the length of an AD engine compartment. GMC AD engine compartments are about 3" longer since they mount the radiaton on the FRONT of the core support, that is a place to start.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.