| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,205 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 25 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 25 | I am looking for advice. What I am trying to figure out is how to fasten stainless steel together. 24 guage lap joints is what I need to do. The lap joint will be about 1/4" by 1/4" square.I need a finnish that is pleasing to the eye, if you know what I mean. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 46 | Len A modern method used in body shops is to glue metal panels together with a special adhesive. This might work for you - a very strong bond and you would not risk discolouring the stainless with too much heat. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 33 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 33 | Being a welder I'd go for the welding,not much of a fan of glue,but I do know they use it very succesfully in body shops now.what is it your making? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 219 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 219 | Tig ( tungsten inert gas ) weld it. Tig is used for stainless. It can be polished after you weld it.
JS | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 219 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 219 | Tig ( tungsten inert gas ) weld it. Tig is used for stainless. It can be polished after you weld it.
JS | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 25 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 25 | Making a grill for my 38 1/2 ton. I had all the bars etc made out of 24 gauge stainless. I haven't experimented with fastening the parts yet. I figure I will be able to lap weld all the pieces. My first thought was to silver solder but am open to all information I can get. It needs to be a finished product in the end that is "pleasing to the eye"
Len | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | len - I add another vote for TIG welding. I have a buddy that tig welded a bunch of stainless for me, once he was done I lightly ground the welds, sanded and polished. Now you cannot tell that the welds are even there. Looks like a single piece of metal. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 33 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 33 | Definately go with the tig welding,I tig weld stainless all day long and needless to say am a big fan of it.I try to make all my stuff from stainless once its done you can forget about it.it doesnt fade,chip,peel,or rust. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 25 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 25 | Looks like tig welding has won, no contest. Thanks for the input. Len  | | |
| |
| |