The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (TGP, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, greenie-reddy, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 178 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108416 04/03/2004 5:59 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 25
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 25
I am looking for advice. What I am trying to figure out is how to fasten stainless steel together. 24 guage lap joints is what I need to do. The lap joint will be about 1/4" by 1/4" square.I need a finnish that is pleasing to the eye, if you know what I mean.

#108417 04/04/2004 12:34 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 46
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 46
Len
A modern method used in body shops is to glue metal panels together with a special adhesive. This might work for you - a very strong bond and you would not risk discolouring the stainless with too much heat.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 33
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 33
Being a welder I'd go for the welding,not much of a fan of glue,but I do know they use it very succesfully in body shops now.what is it your making?

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
Tig ( tungsten inert gas ) weld it. Tig is used for stainless. It can be polished after you weld it.

JS


"I can go anywhere...for I am a Piewagoneer...To the Piewagon"

1966 Chevy Panel Delivery 1966 in the Gallery and more on Webshots
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 219
Tig ( tungsten inert gas ) weld it. Tig is used for stainless. It can be polished after you weld it.

JS


"I can go anywhere...for I am a Piewagoneer...To the Piewagon"

1966 Chevy Panel Delivery 1966 in the Gallery and more on Webshots
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 25
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 25
Making a grill for my 38 1/2 ton. I had all the bars etc made out of 24 gauge stainless. I haven't experimented with fastening the parts yet. I figure I will be able to lap weld all the pieces. My first thought was to silver solder but am open to all information I can get. It needs to be a finished product in the end that is "pleasing to the eye"

Len

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
len - I add another vote for TIG welding. I have a buddy that tig welded a bunch of stainless for me, once he was done I lightly ground the welds, sanded and polished. Now you cannot tell that the welds are even there. Looks like a single piece of metal.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 33
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 33
Definately go with the tig welding,I tig weld stainless all day long and needless to say am a big fan of it.I try to make all my stuff from stainless once its done you can forget about it.it doesnt fade,chip,peel,or rust.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 25
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 25
Looks like tig welding has won, no contest.

Thanks for the input.

Len grin


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0