The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (dt235sd, Rick Brown, Jon G, 2-Ton), 170 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,238
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 55
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 55
I need to make a small (6" x 4") compound curve patch panel for my '51 3100 cab corner. I could buy a whole panel, but don't want to cut it all out for that small piece. And, I'm afraid I couldn't cut exactly the right piece out of the patch. Anybody know an easy way to form the curve without a wheel? I could beat it around a steel ball, I guess, but don't have one of those either. Thanks!

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 198
I have seen an air hammer/chisle set up like an english wheel to pound the steel into compound curves. Made an english wheel to do the quarter panels on my car works really easy..

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
gobsow, my father & I made a fiberglass patch for the cab corner of my '54 when I was in high school. We knew where there was an AD truck with good cab corners, got the owners permission and made an impression of the corner with modeling clay. We used the impression in the clay as a mold to make a fiberglass patch, using fine mesh fiberglass cloth. I cleaned up the hole where the corner had been, trimmed the oversized patch and attached the patch from the inside using sheet metal screw and epoxy to hold the patch, then took out the screw and smoothed it off with a thin coat or two of filler. It looked good and lasted as long as I had the truck.


Union, Justice and Confidence
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Gobsow, I think you have fallen into the most common misundersanding about patch panels. You do NOT have to use the whole thing. Instead of cutting out all the good metal on your truck for one little rusted area, you trim the patch panel down to just what you need. That is one solution.

The other would be to make the piece from scratch of course. Take a look at exactly where you would be replaceing and make sure it is a compound curve you are dealing with. It could be a flat area or relatively flat "area" in a compound curved panel.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 55
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 55
Thanks, all. It is a compound area, near the bottom and rear of the cab corner. This weekend I started with a piece of sheet stock, curving it in one direction, then laying it between open vice jaws and tapping in the other curve. It got to a point where the edge rippled up, so i cut some slots there with a hacksaw, then welded it in. I made a template of the other side cab corner contour, and heated and tapped out (streched) the welded in patch to match the contour. It will need filler, but very little. Thanks again!


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0