The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Rusty Rod), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
In prepping parts for paint, the door mechanisms, the windows etc were removed and cleaned. Found were springs for each door about half dollar in diameter laying away from where they would have been used. In checking parts cats, it appears these were anti-droop springs. In looking at the other parts I am unable to figure how and where these would have been attached originally. Both will be replaced with new. I'd like to figure this out before painting, just in case there is something else needed that would cause "gloom, despair and agony on me", later
Anyone have pics to share showing the entire assembly for a '46?
Thanks!

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 138
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 138
There is another spring that goes on the handle side of the bar between the door handle and latch. Your spring remnants could be from that too. I just replace all four springs on my doors. See this for a picture

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mky62i9ciq1gnqx/AABCx5GDEuoujQcqd0H1c3fPa?dl=0

David

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
Thanks guys between the two batches of photos and the remnants of springs found, I think I was headed for a problem. I'll order the replacement springs.

Here are the spring pieces
And here is the latch

Last edited by 46Sparky; 02/03/2015 8:05 PM.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
Follow up
GW Wirth has a group of really good photos showing the latch detail in his Photobucket collection. I should have looked there earlier.


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0