| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (JW51, Jay R, truckernix, wilbur53, mason86, DadsFirstPickup, Otto Skorzeny),
148
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,155 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 | My 3100 has pretty rusty floor panels and I noticed that the kick panels on the sides were pretty rusted and PO used sheet metal and mererly covered the rusty parts on the inside with the sheet metal. The 3100 has the passenger side vent.
I'd like to replace it all while on the frame. How tough is it? I am not a welder nor do I have access to one. can I sawsall the old out and rivet in new? What am I up against?
Thanks!
Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller
1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver 1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think most would say that welding is the way to go. Riveting would be more cosmetic and merely provide a coverup. If you want to see the structures involved, look at Chuck the truck's website. Also, the Ironchief website has a project section with some really great shots. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | the most serious problem is the kickpanels and floor are structural and hold the truck level. mine are rusted and the truck sags on the drivers side where the most water collects. to correct you will need inner panels and kickpanels maybe the outer. they are available from most suppliers. www.brotherstrucks.com. and others. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | I had to replace both inner cowl areas on my 54. There are pictures of most of the surgery on my picture trail account. What I did where feasible, like the inner kick/cowl panels was cut the rusted areas out and then trim the patch panel to that shape and weld in place. My concern was on getting a good solid seal since that area will be covered with carpeting when I am done. If you have any questions just ask. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 113 | Houston54 - The area under seat and gas tank are good as are the outside areas just in front of both doors. The areas where there are problems are the inner kick panels (left and right) and the center floor board area. I'm trying to do a frame-on repair. Is this possible? If the work is too extensive for me I might have a restoration shop do the floor and some other minor stuff next winter. Right now it is water tight but but ugly, so I hate to mess with it and cause a bigger problem. maybe I'll wait till fall and tear into it.
Bruce (I love My Truck) Miller
1954 5 Window 3100 Chevy Pickup - Driver 1929 **** Model A Pickup - Restoration
| | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Bruce - The floor pans are not a problem. The hassle is getting everything loose as there are a bajillion spot welds holding the floor pans to the rocker panels and also to the remains of your kick panels.
Before going further with suggestions can you send me some pics? Are you trying to make this original or just solid?
If you are just wanting this to be a solid truck you may be able to just weld in patches using sheet metal. Without seeing pictures of your particular areas I would suggest that route if possible. The floors get covered with carpet or mat and the the kick panels can be covered also. If your kick panels are rusted through then chances are your inner to outer cowl panel needs replacing. You can do this work yourself if you have the following tools - spot weld cutter, drill, angle grinder, Mig welder. Send me a PM or email with your phone and we can chat. I have plenty of additional pictures of my surgery you can use as reference.
I am out this weekend on a Scout trip so it may be Monday AM for a reply. | | |
| |
| |