| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,416 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 154 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 154 | Got my new cam(cs293) for my 235 amd aluminum cam gear.I have read all kinds of horror stories about heating and trying to hammer it on. What is the best way to install the gear???Some say that pressing it on will gaul it and it might come off.I want to do it right the first time.THANKS for any help. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 | I had mine pressed on by the shop that did my machine work. Later when assembling I discovered he left too much gap, I secured the Cam in a supported vice underneath the shoulder of the large #1 bearing and a few strokes of a 2lb sledge and a large socket got the clearance where I wanted.
If I had a press I would have definitely used that method over pounding. You have much more control with a nice slow and steady press. In either case, proper alignment of the gear to the cam is imperative.
Dave | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 | Cam gear: boiling water (I use cotton gloves inside rubber gloves) Camshaft nose: slowly dip & remove, dip & remove, then immerse in a safe (rubber? steel?) container of alcohol and dry ice | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | as far as the clearance, there is a little spacer that goes in there somewhere to give you the proper clearance. Mine didn't have one when I took it apart (either time.) But the fella at the machine shop enlightened me. You may be able to get it together by freezing/heating the pieces, but it might not hurt to have a press ready just in case. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | Does the thrust plate have a shoulder that establishes the proper end play? Some do- - - -others don't. If I'm dealing with a non-shouldered thrust plate I use shim stock or a couple of correct-thickness feeler gauge blades as spacers, get the gear as hot as a Propane torch will make it, and tap the gear onto the cam quickly while the hole is expanded. It's virtually impossible to overheat the gear with an LP gas torch- - - -no need to get anal about it! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |