The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1079168 01/14/2015 6:18 AM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
I bought a parts truck with a 2-speed rear end that I want to put in my '46 2-ton. Before anyone jumps in to tell me it won't make the truck go any faster, I know that. I use the truck in the hills of western MA and could use some lower gears when it's got a full load.
The question is will the two-speed differential fit in the one-speed housing? If it will, that would save a lot of work. If not, would the brakes interchange or would I be on the hook for new parts?
Thanks.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Ed Hotaling, are the two trucks both "Art Deco" style? Do the two trucks have the same GVW? According to my Fel-Pro gasket catalog the single speed and two speed rear axles from 1937 to 1954 do not use the same gasket, so I would surmise that the two speed will not swap into the single speed housing, hope that helps.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
Yes they are both Art Deco 2-tons. I was really hoping I could just swap the differentials.That would make the job and down time a lot quicker.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
The answer is no.
The 2 speed housing doesn't bolt up to a single speed axle.

Brakes would depend on who made the axle.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Changing the entire rear housing is not a very difficult task. Just put the vehicle on two good jack stands and make the swap.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1081...3611568210&oid=108197707187186692269

We routinely change an entire tandem in a half a day.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0