The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#107595 01/01/2004 5:43 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Anyone have experience in repainting chevy hubcaps using the thistle grey with black letters? I want to restore my caps which are chipped, faded and a little rusted. Does anyone know if there's a stencil available that would mask off everything except for the letters.

To me you would either paint the letters black first. Mask them off and then paint the background grey.

or

Paint the background first, somehow mask off the entire background and then shoot the letters with black.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#107596 01/01/2004 10:07 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
How about you paint the background. Then you get a couple of good quality artist brushes and go at it by hand. I bet it wouldn't be too hard. Have you seen those guys doing pinstriping? Just have a rag handy for the odd mistake.

If the letters are easy you can probably mask quicker.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#107597 01/01/2004 10:27 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Or you can paint the grey, then use the black "Chevrolet" mylar decals available for this purpose. I went this route on the letters across the radio grille, and they look great. If I tried to paint those letters, there is no way I could get the edges straight.

#107598 01/03/2004 5:49 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Tony,
I tried that a couple years ago and the edges of the letter looks like I was painting during that recent earthquake. Maybe my better half has a steadier hand.

Brian,
Good idea but will the letters stay afixed even being exposed to the weather and being rotated fast?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#107599 01/03/2004 6:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Craig
Rotated fast? I think you must be dreaming about these old trucks being able to go fast:).
But I have no idea if they will stay on well, I bought repop hubcaps and they came with painted emblems. But it is one way to get nice straight edges. And not terribly expensive to find out.
I was thinking, if you still want painted emblems, you could paint the whole center section of the hubcaps black, apply the decal over the black paint, then spray the entire thing gray. Then remove the gray-painted decal carefully, and the lettering should be black with nice straight edges. I have never tried this, would it work you think?

#107600 01/03/2004 10:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
or....Depending on how the decal set is produced, do the opposite. Paint the gray 1st, apply the decal frame set around the letters, shoot the black. I know, just a dreamer.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#107601 01/04/2004 2:12 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
Isn't there a way to paint the hubcap the color of the letters, then repaint with the color of the rest of the hubcap then compound or somehow remove the second coat from the letters, leaving the original color on the letters? Seems like I heard of this somewhere around here before.
I bet MartinSR will know!


Union, Justice and Confidence
#107602 01/06/2004 2:04 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
Over here we have shops that computer cut decals for signage. Perhaps you could get them to cut 4 with the leters cut from the backing that you could apply and use as stencils.


Send David Hicks home - now!
"Better to be wrong and kill no one then right with mass graves" Albert Camus
#107603 01/07/2004 2:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get the decal kit from any of the vendors that sell repop parts.
Dont use the letters themselves but peel the letter surround off & use it as a stencil & shoot away.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0