Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,126 Posts1,056,356 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 | My 55.1 GMC is a 248 with a hydra-matic. I am switching to a T5. What starter do I need? I believe that the original starter is specific to the hydra-matic, which means it should go to somebody who needs it. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Joseph_Y, that depends if you want to maintain your six volt system or change to twelve volt at the time of transmission replacement. If you want to remain six volt you'll need a 139 tooth flywheel and a six volt starter for a 54 through 59 bellhousing. If you want to change to twelve volts, you'll need a 168 tooth flywheel and a twelve volt starter to fit the same bellhousing, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 | The previous owner converted it to 12V. The stamp on the starter says 6V though.
I have a donor chassis from a 55.1 GMC manual truck for the bell housing, clutch linkages, and a starter. It would be a 6V version though (I assume). Is there a way to rebuild it to 12V? Where do I find the 168 tooth flywheel? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | When converting a 6 volt hydramatic transmission truck to 12 volts you have to use the original 6 volt starter. Because it's the only starter with the correct teeth that will match up to the 139 teeth hydramatic flywheel. Picture of HM parts In your case use your backup manual tranny bell housing, pressure plate, clutch, throw-out bearing, flywheel and starter. Here is a 12 volt STARTER its for a Chevy, so I'm not for sure if it will bolt up. I think some venders also make a 12 volt starter with a solenoid. Otherwise you could use the manual tranny 6 volt starter. Just don't run it for a long time. If you don't want the hydramatic flywheel send me a PM Pirvate Message. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Talk about a mark up. I had mine converted locally for $50. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 | What is the difference between the 6V hydra-matic starter and the 6V manual transmission starter? I do not have the manual transmission one in my hand yet, so I cannot look at them side by side. I am not picking up the donor manual transmission chassis until next month.
I am using the bell housing, crossmember, and flywheel from the manual transmission donor chassis. It is my understanding that I have to. I do not know which starter to use though.
Can I have a local shop convert the 6V starter to 12V and just keep the 6V flywheel from the manual transmission chassis? What is the negative of using the wrong tooth count? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I think Jorb has comparison photo of the two starters. The "snout" of the H-M-starter is a different length.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | Makes sense that the top longer snout starter is the HM, I thinks the reason for the HM starter being longer has something to do with that front housing. Which the manual tranny doesn't use.
longer snout: The part you don't see when bolted up.
Nice Pic tc
Last edited by jorb; 12/19/2014 6:47 AM. Reason: shoorter longer error
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | If your 6V starter is in good working condition there is no need to have it converted to 12V just for the sake of having a 12V starter. Mine needed to be rebuilt anyway and I asked if he could convert it and he said yes so I had him do it. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | There is one problem he has a hydramatic truck toeboard. There is no foot activated starter mechanism on the floor. He needs a 6v or 12v manual tranny starter with a solenoid.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 | Can I put the solenoid from my hydra-matic starter on the manual starter? Or is that a silly question. I have no idea. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | It is not a silly question, but you cannot. The drive-lever is different.
Chevs of the 40s used to sell a 6v solenoid starter (from a LCF truck). It will work, but there is a hefty core charge.
I do not know if the Powerglide 6v starter will work.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 | Do 55-59 trucks use a solenoid starter?
Can I use the snout from the manual starter on the hydra-matic starter? I believe the snout is the difference between the starters. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Joseph_Y, I believe the armature shaft on the Hydramatic starter is too long to install a nose from a standard transmission starter on it. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Mechanical starters on '55-59 6 cylinder GMC trucks but '56-59 are for 12V flywheels.
Last edited by cletis; 12/21/2014 10:37 PM. Reason: removed erroneous info
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 | I planned on using the flywheel from my 55.1 GMC manual transmission donor chassis. I have not heard about the 248 crankshaft being different for a hydra-matic though. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | With the truck bell housing you can use the 6 volt car starter. It is a solenoid starter. You will most likely need a 12 volt solenoid, but you might not. I have a spare starter that has been used while the stomp starter is getting rebuilt. It is a 6 volt solenoid starter from some donor car. I put a column mounted horn button on to act as the starter button. You already have the button so that part is done for you. It has worked so far and I have yet to change it out. About a year of dump runs, errands and just fun drives so far.I would match the starter to the flywheel and go from there.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | The 55.1 GMC manual transmission flywheel will have 6 mounting holes to the crankshaft. You need to see how many bolt holes is in your crankshaft. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | He is using a 1954 GMC truck clutch housing. Is the Chevrolet passenger car starter w/solenoid interchangeable with the GMC truck clutch housing?
I can see Chevrolet truck and Chevrolet car parts being interchangeable. I do not know about GMC.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Joseph_Y, all the linkage for the stomp starter is bolted to the engine not the floor, so you only need a hole in the floor for the button shaft to pass through. Or you could use the car solenoid starter of the correct voltage as Steve_H has suggested. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | The '54 Chevy and GMC clutch housings are interchangeable. The starters are too.
ref: Hollander Manual, 32nd edition.
Last edited by cletis; 12/20/2014 6:53 AM. Reason: added reference
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 1,146 | OK, here's the low down on the Chevrolet Starter w/solenoid info. The 47-54 Chevrolet Truck Factory Assembly Manual Shows: R.P.O. 327 Solenoid Starter Equipment Instruction Section 0, Sheet 3.00 Looking at starter it says, part #1107109 motor assembly Section 12, Sheet 7.00 That sheet says same part #1107109 but RD right hand drive truck. 1954 Chevrolet Car Spec sheet PDF page 41 under starter motor it says same part #1107109 1954 Chevrolet truck Spec sheet PDF page 114 under starter motor it says same part #1107109 Master parts catalog Grp. # 2.041 Motor Assembly, Starter It does not show that part number for some reason. Just part #1107108 Note: Chevy manual and H-M tranny flywheels both have 139 teeth and use 6 bolts to attach to crankshaft. Chevy manual and H-M tranny starters both have 9 teeth on starter pinion. Both the manual and H-M tranny starter drive end housings are the same length. The difference is, the mounting ears on the H-M drive end housing are closer to the solenoid. Which allows the starter drive end housing to insert farther into the bell housing, because the H-M flywheel is set back from the crankshaft. The above info tells me, the manual transmission 1954 Chevrolet passenger car starter w/solenoid part #1107109 will work on a 1954 Chevrolet 3700 3900 series manual tranny truck. And probably any 3000 series truck. Like cletis said it will come down to the flywheel fastening bolts 6 or 4. If you have 6 it will work if 4 it will not. You have to use the Chevy 139 teeth flywheel with the 9 teeth starter pinion. You would think that someone could convert a GMC stomp starter to a solenoid starter. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | OK folks, my mind has cleared a little. I stated above (now removed) that a '54 Hydra-Matic engine may have used a 4 bolt flywheel. What caused my confusion is a '53 Hydra-Matic used a 6 bolt flywheel 228 and all other 228s were 4 bolt.
All '54 248s had 6 bolt flywheels regardless of transmission used. The starter and flywheel from the '55 titled truck should work for you. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 70 | I picked up the manual transmission donor chassis this past Saturday. I had good weather for the entire trip except for when we loaded it on the trailer. Low 40s and drizzling. Overall, it was a pretty smooth 480 mile adventure.
The engine, bell housing, and transmission from the donor chassis is covered in an inch of grease dirt. The stuff is hard as concrete. I will try to clean it up this Saturday so I can remove the bell housing.
I now have an original 3-speed manual transmission that I do not need. | | |
| |