The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (walter74, Southerntruck, Jon G, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
Hi - A year ago I started a frame-off on my '49 3100. Now I'm putting the oil filter back on, but can't remember figure out how it was mounted.

It was mounted on the inner fender near the exhaust manifold. I have all the brackets, and I can post pictures of these parts if that would be of assistance. I just can't find any references or pictures of oil filters that were mounted on the fender, only to ones mounted on the exhaust manifold.

Can anybody clue me in on me how to re-mount this thing? A picture, or instructions, or ... ?

Thanks...

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 46
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 46
all early motors ive seen were mounted on intake manifold,from cars to bigger trucks. good luck with your project

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
The bypass oil filter on my 49 3100 w/it's original 216 mounts on the intake manifold. As been said, that's where the vast majority were mounted.
Pic
Dave

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I have seen them mounted on the inner fender (other people have posted finding one on the inner fender), but that is not a common location.

As a factory option, they would have been mounted on the intake manifold.

As people often post, these were work trucks. Many were bought without an oil filter, but an owner might add one if they obtained a used one off any other vehicle.

A used filter might not have long enough oil lines needed from the rear of the block (Chevrolet) to an oil filter at the front of the intake manifold. I have a few old by-pass oil filters that have one line that is too short to reach to the front of the intake manifold. These lines would work with an oil filter mounted on the inner fender.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
Hey Chico- my truck has a inner fender mounted oil filter on a bracket. Fact is, I think I even did some sketches of all of it apart so I'd remember how to put it back together again.

I'll takes some pics and scan the sketches and post them for you tonight if I can.


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
Chico- here are a couple of pics and a sketch of the inner fender mounted bracket and oil filter:

http://s837.photobucket.com/user/daveydouglas/media/OFpicsnsketch.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
I wanted my spin-on filter in the original location at least so I used a Moroso much-too-expensive adapter. I bought a model which uses a GM filter but these apparently don't have bypass valves. I ended up using a NAPA filter w/bypass valve designed for a Wisconsin engine!

I think if you bought the adapter for a F*rd filter, these filters include the by-pass valve. Check that.

(Note: I first used 2 pressure gauges to check the pressure before and after the filter upon start-up.)

Spin on oil filter on my 261.
-
-
-


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I think that Chico has a by-pass oil filtration system.

Wally/Montana,

I think you have 1959 261, which would have a full-flow filtration system.

The bypass spin-on filter that you have would not be appropriate for Chico to use. Your by-pass spin-on filter, bypasses the filter if the filter clogs (if you a 1959 261 with a full flow oil filtration system).

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
Davey Do -

Wow, that is indeed the same mounting system as mine. All the same parts! I tried playing with those brackets every which-way but couldn't figure out how it had been mounted. My memory didn't allow me to remember that it was mounted higher than I remembered...you picture and drawing brought it all back.

Wonder what the history is of that particular mounting setup. It isn't referenced in the nicely researched oil filter article on this site.

Thanks a lot...

chico

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Originally Posted by Wally / Montana
I wanted my spin-on filter in the original location at least so I used a Moroso much-too-expensive adapter. I bought a model which uses a GM filter but these apparently don't have bypass valves. I ended up using a NAPA filter w/bypass valve designed for a Wisconsin engine!

I think if you bought the adapter for a F*rd filter, these filters include the by-pass valve. Check that.

(Note: I first used 2 pressure gauges to check the pressure before and after the filter upon start-up.)

Spin on oil filter on my 261.
-
-
-

I have the same Moroso remote set up as you. Yep, use Motorcraft FL-1A filter with the correct spin on adapter on my late model 261.


Drew
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by Chico
Davey Do -

Wow, that is indeed the same mounting system as mine. All the same parts!

Thanks a lot...

chico

thumbs_up You're Welcome, chico!

It's good to finally assist someone with their 'Bolt! Lord knows I've picked these Guys brains enough. It's about time something was given back!


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0