The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3B, 55shaker, Gdads51), 103 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,367
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#107112 03/29/2004 4:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was a sunny day out and my wife decided I should clean out the garage to make room for her to park inside. :rolleyes:

Found a couple of boxes labeled "Auto Paint"

Stuff all the way back from 1986 -
Imron paint, activator, reducer
Urethane Enamel paint and reducer
Fisheye eliminator
All kinds of different cans of filler primer, sealer, epoxy primer, etc.

What do I do with this stuff? Can I use it to paint the insides of fenders for rust protection? I have about 3 gallons of different kinds of paint. Some unopened.

Should I just open them up and let them dry out and then dispose in the garbage? I know what my dad would have done . . . not going there.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
if you can't use it yourself [watch that Imron!!] or find someone else who can use it, check w/ county gov re hazardous waste disposal - don't send it to the landfill even dried unless it's latex - if you\'re Tacoma/Pierce county or King county there are possibilities - other areas should have ways to deal w/ it too, as WA has a fairly good rep for hazwaste handling [which is what "solvent" base paints are]

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 91
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 91
i would use it on something un important first to see if it all good first then go from there

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I've got an old unopened can of International Harvester branded motor truck paint, in yellow. I haven't had the guts to open it but it still sloshes. I'm tempted to paint my wheelbarrow with it.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Ken if you use the Imron make sure you have a fresh air suit or mask. Imron contain Isosyanates (sp?) they are nasty on the nervous system.

If the paints haven't been used or reduced they should still be good. I would find someone with a paint shaker and shake the daylights out of them. Then use on some stuff that you are not too concerned about.

or donate to autobody tech school is a good idea too.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmmmm . . . I shot my first '49 with Imron when I was about 20 years old. I was ADD before it was in fashion - after painting that truck I settled down quite a bit - perhaps I have stumbled on a cure? eek

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Ken I used to sell Imron. Sold it to alot of Industrial companies, Airplane owners and some Marine shops. One day one of the guys who has bought Imron long before I started there comes in and says, "Man that Imron sure makes me sick after I paint with it." So I asked him If he was using the poper equiptment. Gloves, Tyvek suit and fresh air mask/ hood. He just looks at me and says " hell I am just using the same charcoal filter respriator that I always use"

He was getting so sick after painting that he was taking 2 to 3 days off. Vomiting, dizzy spells. He was showing all the signs of early nurilogical damage due to over exposure. If it has isosyinates in it better use a fresh air suite/ mask or pay someone that is used to working with this type of paint. Read the label this stuff can Kill you!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0