The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (fonz8261, dt235sd, klhansen, greenie-reddy, Opelika Tom), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,078
Posts1,056,283
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
8
'Bolter
'Bolter
8 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
I don't drive my 6v '48 truck all of the time I would like a small 6v solar tender/maintainer to throw on the dash when parked. All of the ones I am seeing charge up to 12v and I believe I need to stay below 7v?
Here are a couple I was looking at.
The two NoCo products would be used together.
NoCo 6V regulator

NoCo solar battery maintainer

BatteryTender 5W solar panel with controller

Any opinions or experiences are welcome, Thanks.


Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
A lot of gate game feeders are 6 volt and maintained by solar.
Amazon.com and sporting goods vendors have a model for almost every budget.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&am...b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9magp63yz5_b

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
8
'Bolter
'Bolter
8 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
So I decided to go with the NOCO 2.5w solar battery charger + maintainer along with the NOCO 6V regulater.
My truck is not stored in direct light, I have the panel suction cupped to the windshield, this was the view out the windshield at 10;00am, I was getting 5.486 volts from the panel at that time. Half an hour later I was getting 6.468 volts.
So far I am really happy with this $39 investment. I like the idea of maintaining my battery during the winter in the truck, with no effort other than connecting the panel clamps to the battery. I don't even have the battery disconnected.


Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
8
'Bolter
'Bolter
8 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
Just a quick update I Love my solar maintainer! My '48 had a fully charged battery all winter. With the 6V regulator removed the panel does 12v which is handy on my other vehicles as well


Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Curt,

Thanks for taking the effort to describe the system you purchased. It looks like you found a good solution. I have a very similar storage condition and will look into this. Is the solar panel in your windshield?

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
8
'Bolter
'Bolter
8 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
Paul here is a picture of the panel attached to the windshield with the supplied suction cups. Windshield picture


Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0