The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (ndkid275, Southerntruck, Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, JW51), 81 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1070464 11/27/2014 5:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
HI Everybody...

I am still gathering parts for my 1953 1 ton truck, I have a set of 4.10 gears for the rear end and I wanna do disc brakes but also I wanna do a steering upgrade too. Does the newer Saginaw steering boxes make driving these trucks a more manageable experience? I have driven some vintage vehicles and darn they do like to wander around the roadway. I am not looking for something perfect but something that will run down the road in a decent manor.

Any insight would be appreciated.

MikeC

Last edited by mikec4193; 11/28/2014 3:05 AM.

1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Original box rebuilt and in good shape drives and steers well. Front axle, kingpins, also need to be tight no matter the steering box.

I adapted a power steering gearbox to my 52 1 ton and it sure was nice. However I've decided not necessary, so when the truck is born again along with an engine and transmission upgrade I plan to put in a nice low mileage original manual steering gear box I've collected.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
Hi Grigg

That is nice to know actually. I was hoping someone would answer like that. I think I can rebuild an old box a lot easier than figuring all the pieces and parts for a newer saginaw box swap.

Is there a kit to make that original steering column a collapsible one like in the newer motor vehicles we all drive nowadays?

MikeC



1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
There is no kit to make a colapsable steering column. I suppose you could get two of the bearings sold for cutting the column off, a pair of U-joints, and a section of slip shaft, well and a clamp for the column at the floor.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Our international 9000i series trucks use a pretty simple steering setup with 2 U-joints and a slip joint. I think they could easily be modified to fit any vehicle.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1081...1067920578&oid=108197707187186692269

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
The newer Saginaw boxes work, but figuring out the geometry was the hardest part in my build. I needed it for the heavier motor and clearance. I used a mid 70s dodge 4x4 steering box which was reversed rotation and fabricated a bracket to bolt it to the frame. Right now it's too smooth and I personally like a little resistance and "feel" to the steering, so I'll probably end up changing out the regulator in the pump. Really I would only do it if you absolutely have to.

Here's a mock up photo of the setup
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/...7C-3144-00000126481B60BD_zpse684f992.jpg
Here's the Borgeson joints and shaft I used with a support bearing in the original column
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/...13-2828-000002C01B3A58A1_zps45bcf9e3.jpg



1950 Chevy 3800
4-53T Detroit Diesel conversion
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
So with the newer steering box...are you guys eliminating the old school drag link from the original truck?

Also how does the reverse rotation thing work??

I love that collapsible steering shaft too..

MikeC


1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 123
I used a 1996 Chevy p30 axle and drag link, which I had acquired. A lot of head scratching with converting from "dual" to single rear wheel hubs, and shortening the axle beam itself.

If I used a regular gm Saginaw box, the truck will steer to the right if your turn the steering wheel to the left. Hence the "reverse rotation" box that the dodge 4x4 trucks in the mid 70s.

I'm not sure what bolt on kits work with the 1tons. I went my own route with power steering/disc brake conversion



1950 Chevy 3800
4-53T Detroit Diesel conversion
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I also figured out my own setup using an IH Scout II steering box and most of an axle from a Chevy 3500HD.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0