The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 66 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,318
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 108
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 108
I am looking for a harmonic balancer pulley for my 235 in my '58 Apache. The current one does not have a smooth pulley groove; looks like it has been plagued with rust and I think it is the root cause for premature wearing of the fan belt. Looked online with NAPA, AUTOZONE, Rock Auto and Advance Auto, no luck. I would appreciate if anyone knows where one is located and the best way to change it out without removing motor from the truck.


1958 Chevrolet 3600 NAPCO 4x4 Apache
"Calvin"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I would recommend pulling the belt, start the engine and smoothing the pulley with sand paper. You can run it for a minute with out overheating it. Pitting does not seem to affect a belt, but raised rust it tough on them.
Ebay is always a good place to start if you need to replace it.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
I do not know if your still looking but there is a guy on Facebook that has this If you have FB you might want to look him up Just FYI. I do not know him but he belongs to a group called Stovebolter's R'Us.

Andrew Pizano

November 12 at 8:29pm · Edited
.

Chevy GM 216 235 6 Cyl. Engine 1937 - 1963 Timing Chain Cover with new seal installed and 55 to 62 GM/Chevrolet 3/8" Harmonic Balancer and Pulley $65.00


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Jerry, AKA Hotrod Lincoln was working on a small block dampener with big block pulley setup for a 235/261. Not for sure how it turned out.



1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
I built one from a 6" diameter small block V8 damper, with a big block V8 2-groove pulley inverted over it. It requires the balancer hub to be shortened about 1/4" in a lathe, and a corresponding amount of material removed from the outside diameter of the hub where it meets the large diameter part. This allows the hub to be pressed back onto the crankshaft snout far enough to align one of the pulley sheaves with the water pump pulley. The other sheave can be used to drive a power steering pump and/or an air conditioner compressor. The cost of the new parts is about $125.00, plus machining.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0