The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, Nick in Manitou), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
I have a 1953 -3100 with a 250 CID engine and a Th350 fitted by a PO.
It has a 1975 tilt steering column with rack and pinion power steering attached to the frame. Scary. I want to change back to a regular steering box utilizing the power steering pump already in place.
Can anyone tell me what steering box would fit without creating another nightmare? Am I able to get a power steering adapter to fit a regular steering box? I have none of the parts needed. IE tie rods etc.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
This subject gets discussed periodically. There is a Toyota Land Cruiser power steering box that's a pretty close match to the original steering column and steering gear which has been adapted to some of the straight-axle trucks. There has also been some discussion about adding an electric-assist steering column to the original steering gear, but I'm not sure anyone has worked all the bugs out of that approach.

Another method involves mounting a Saginaw power steering gear to the left front frame rail ahead of the axle and using a drag link that points rearward to the original straight axle spindle and tie rod, but some of the ones I've seen look a little Rube Goldberg in their setup. Definitely trash the rack & pinion- - - -it's deadly dangerous with a straight axle!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
Hi Jerry
Yes the Land cruiser box looks good but are pretty pricey and hard to come by. CPP puts out a conversion kit for a 69- 87 Chev power steering box but it looks like the Rube Goldberg thing. Maybe Ill just go back to the original steering box and strong arm the wheel like everyone else. If I did it when I was 18 I can do it now that Im 80.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Stan

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
There is a conversion for the older power assist steering that uses the original box.

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/media/1947_3800/47truckassembly%20008.JPG

Its not a cheap setup but adding power steering isn't cheap.
I think I did this one for about $500. Uses a GM pump and early Chevy power assist parts. 67 Chevy truck is what i used and made the drag link. Corvette up to 81 or 82 used this type of P/S



Dave Chapman
The Hollister Road Company
713-937-0387
[email protected]
www.hollisterroad.com
www.thoroco.com
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 125
CPP manufactures a power assist like Dave installed. I checked with my supplier in Ontario who would not sell me one. Apparently he has eaten two of them including the installation costs. After taking the valve apart he found they were using used parts and the valve was rusted. Costs about $900.00. Buyer beware.



Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0