| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible),
111
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,697 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Weird question of the day! I have a 1966 Pontiac brake booster and am curious if I can use it in my 1965 C10 1/2 ton stepper. I want to know if it's a bad idea to try and convert it to a dual master cylinder - or if it's even possible. Can I convert this thing to a dual master cylinder? I plan to run Drum/Drum for now. Thanks, Jay Pontiac Booster Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4
Last edited by Lugnutz; 10/26/2014 4:19 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Lugnutz, I checked part numbers for the two different boosters at RockAuto and they are not the same, however the differences between the two boosters may be something as simple as a different length of pushrod. I would do some more investigation, you may be able to adapt it to work, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | Brake boosters are relatively inexpensive. That looks like a single diaphragm 9 inch booster. A modern 2 chamber mc should bolt right up. The aftermarket produces a copy of the corvette mc. I would really look into getting new parts and make certain they all play well together. The brakes are jut too important for any monkey buisness.
I have had some recent experience with brake boosters in my 1959 gmc. I had an 8 inch single diaphragm booster, which was malfunctioning. I replaced it with a 7 inch dual diaphragm booster, and then again with an 8 inch dual diaphragm booster. If younhave the space, it is worth it to go for the dual diaphragm boosters. They work on lower vacuum signals and decrease the pedal effort significantly. I would reccomend going with a 10 or 11 single booster if you have the space, or a 9 inch dual if you don't. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Thanks! I ran across that old booster among parts I had boxed up. Making it work AND making it look good would take a lot of work.
I'm gonna go for something new that bolts right on. A copy of the Corvette MC? Booster too? I'd like to look into that further. Can you get me started looking in the right direction?
Jay
Last edited by Lugnutz; 10/26/2014 2:15 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,101 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,101 | Many of the aftermarket suppliers use a Corvette MC with their conversion kits. However, It's likely they are not all the same. Corvette uses 4 wheel disc brakes while many of the aftermarket folks use them for front disc/rear drum or possibly drum/drum conversions. Some will need a proportioning valve and/or residual valves to work correctly. Call ABS at 714-771-6549, they can give you the straight scoop on what combinations work. You may not want to pay shipping from CA but they know this stuff. They sell kits and also have a shop. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | |
| |
| |