| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,713 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2014 Posts: 42 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2014 Posts: 42 | I have both the factory assembly manual and the shop manual for the truck (55.1 3600). I cannot find a torque spec for the drum backing plate (where it attaches with 4 bolts to the rear axle with 1/2"-20 grade 8 bolts with lock washers). It seems to me that the torque is pretty high considering that I couldn't turn it by hand and had to jump on a breaker bar to get them loose, but that could be a lot of rust helping to hold on some tight bolts. I doubt the drum backing plates had ever been removed.
I did find the torque specs for the rear axle hub (85-95 ft-lbs), but not the backing plate. One post on here about looking up the torque for a particular bolt (in their case 45 ft-lbs for a 3/8" bolt). In the case of the 1/2"-20 bolt, I found a value of 120 ft-lbs online. This seems like a lot of torque to me, and I was hoping someone else had figured this out already.
Thanks in advance! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | I don't think that they published a torque spec for the backing plate bolts. If you use a medium length ratchet with a wrench holding the nut pull it down and snug it up. Don't pull it so tight that the bolt starts to dig into the metal. If you want to practice getting the feel find a piece of scrap metal and put a hole in it for different size bolts. Then put a bolt and nut through and give it a try. Use a breaker bar and see if you can shear the bolt off. You will soon get a "feel" for what tight is. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2014 Posts: 42 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2014 Posts: 42 | Thanks! I was wondering if folks on here went by feel or if I was just missing a torque spec, but I wanted to at least ask since the brakes are a rather important part of the truck's function. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,838 | SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) has published standard torque values for just about every common bolt used on vehicles. I believe the 1/2-20 torque spec is somewhere in the 100 ft/lb range. A good rule of thumb that I've used for a lot of years on bolts without a published torque specification is "snug plus one flat". Take up the slack between parts until you can feel the resistance to turning change, and tighten the bolt or nut another 1/6 turn (one flat on a hex-head bolt). This puts a slight amount of "stretch" on the fastener and prevents it from loosening. It works on just about any size fastener. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |