The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1060712 10/06/2014 11:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
I have been trying to find/stop an oil leak in my freshly rebuilt GMC 228, and need a little input from anyone who might have experienced this before.

As I said its a fresh rebuild, top to bottom, sitting on my 1950 GMC frame. This a frame off resto, so as you can imagine it's very frustrating getting a fresh rebuild back with an oil leak.

The oil I am seeing is coming down the passenger side of the inside of the bell housing. It is then just pooling on the bottom of the bell housing until there is enough there to drip to the floor. There is no oil on the lip of the oil pan where it meets the rear main bearing cap. That leads me to believe that it's not the rear main that is leaking (at least I hope it's not).

At first, I thought it was the rocket cover, coming out the back and down the side of the motor and pooling on the bottom of the bell housing. So I replaced that gasket (which was new from the rebuild). I continued to get the leak, so I thought it must be the rocker cover gasket. I replaced that (also new). Still got the leak, so replace the oil pan gasket to eliminate that. Still got the leak.

My next thing to try is to put some thread sealant on the bell housing attaching bolts to the block. I really don't want to disconnect the torque tube, pull the tranny and cluth again (another long story), but will if I have to in order to get to those bolts. I just wanted to check to see if anyone can confirm to me that the bell housing bolts go through to the oil galley. I especially don't want to pull all that stuff again if there is no need to, if someone tells me that there is no chance of oil coming from those bolts. It does look like the heads of those bolts are wet from oil, so that is why I am thinking that they may be the culprits. But there is also what looks like to be some gasket sealant on the heads of those bolts, that may have been slung on there from the main bearing cap. Gasket sealant that the machine shop put on there from the rebuild. Not sure if maybe the rear main is leaking, and the flywheel is slinging the oil to the passenger side of the bell housing, and then it's dripping down to where I am seeing it.

I know the saying "If it ain't leaking oil, it ain't got any in it," but I just want to get this resloved. Lots of money spent on this motor, and hate that it has a leak I can't seem to figure out. Any help would be appriciated, and I can forward some pictures on if it will help.

Thanks in advance,
Jake


1950 GMC 1/2 ton - complete frame off restoration
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
It sounds to me like you have a leak at the plug behind the end of the camshaft. I am assuming that it is similar to a 216 or 235 in that area.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0