The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1059201 09/29/2014 7:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
I've had a 66 c-10 for nearly 10 years. I finally decided to swap out the original 230 for a 292 I found a rebuilt. I bought a master rebuild kit and got down and dirty with it. The newly rebuilt engine runs awesome and seems to have a ton of power! However, it smokes around the valve cover. I pulled the cover off to do a fine valve adjustment and discovered there was no oil being pushed up. This problem has been racking my brain for over 6 months now as I have been trying to figure out out!. I have made sure all of my freeze plugs were good, replaced the oil pump twice, checked my poison rings offset twice, and even manually primed the oil pump through the distributor port after making sure the lifters and push rods were unobstructed. Still nothing. The only thing left I can figure is maybe there is a place on the head gasket that didn't have a hole punched out or there is an oil passage clogged. I can get very minimal oil from the 1 and 5 rockers, but very barely. Any thoughts?! I am desperate to get my baby back on the road!

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Well after a little more research and digging, I think I am going to pull the oil pump again and bench test it again. This time I will pack it with Vaseline to see if it will help the gears produce suction. I am excited about the prospects of this easy fix, but certainly not looking forward to removing the oil pan. The thought of having to remove the motor mounts so I can lift the engine again is not thrilling. But I will do what I must.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 131
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 131
Before you go to the effort of pulling the pan put a reliable mechanical gauge in the oil sender hole to confirm or dispute pressure.
I think you will find lots of pressure or your would have scored a bearing shell hours of use ago.
The top end dryness may be caused by a cam bearing that has turned and will not allow much flow & pressure to the lifters and rockers.
Good luck.


1 1955 Chev one ton. 261 engine

3 1962 Chev c-10 261 engine
4 1966 Plymouth VIP 5.7 GenIII Hemi
5 1966 Imperial Crown Coupe 440 engine

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0