The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1058278 09/24/2014 4:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
I'm building a 51 Chevrolet pickup.
I have a 235 from a 1954 pickup and a 3 speed from a 65 and 12 bolt rear also from the 65.
The 235 has a resurfaced flywheel and new clutch and pressure plate and I'm trying to avoid changing the original 51 mid mount cross member to a 54 mid mount cross member.
So my question is, *will a 216 bellhousing bolt up to my 235 and will I still be able to use the 235 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate?
And will the 1965 3 speed bolt right up to the 216 bellhousing?*

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That is a yes to all of your questions.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
Thanks alot. That's what I like to hear!

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
I thought I read in a separate post where the 235 clutch was bigger and wouldn't fit in the 216 bell housing. I am about to do the same; put a '55 235 in my 1939 using the 216's bell housing. This is because my pedals bolt to the bell housing...and transmission. Just gathering info before I dive in. Thanks.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
1939 trucks came with an optional 10 3/4" clutch, so I would think most size clutches should fit.
I recently put a 235 in a 1936 Standard and used a 1939 passenger bellhousing. I did need to grind down two of the ribs inside the bellhousing to clear a 10" pressure plate, but I don't think that should be an issue with a truck bellhousing. The 39 passenger only came with a 9" clutch.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
Do you know a casting number from the 216 bellhousing I need?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Dylan56, welcome, the bellhousing I am going to give you a casting number for is actually from a 1953 235 engine the casting number is 3701433 hope that helps.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
Thank you.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0