| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 | I'm building a 51 Chevrolet pickup. I have a 235 from a 1954 pickup and a 3 speed from a 65 and 12 bolt rear also from the 65. The 235 has a resurfaced flywheel and new clutch and pressure plate and I'm trying to avoid changing the original 51 mid mount cross member to a 54 mid mount cross member. So my question is, *will a 216 bellhousing bolt up to my 235 and will I still be able to use the 235 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate? And will the 1965 3 speed bolt right up to the 216 bellhousing?* | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | That is a yes to all of your questions.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 | Thanks alot. That's what I like to hear! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2014 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2014 Posts: 20 | I thought I read in a separate post where the 235 clutch was bigger and wouldn't fit in the 216 bell housing. I am about to do the same; put a '55 235 in my 1939 using the 216's bell housing. This is because my pedals bolt to the bell housing...and transmission. Just gathering info before I dive in. Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | 1939 trucks came with an optional 10 3/4" clutch, so I would think most size clutches should fit. I recently put a 235 in a 1936 Standard and used a 1939 passenger bellhousing. I did need to grind down two of the ribs inside the bellhousing to clear a 10" pressure plate, but I don't think that should be an issue with a truck bellhousing. The 39 passenger only came with a 9" clutch.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 | Do you know a casting number from the 216 bellhousing I need? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Dylan56, welcome, the bellhousing I am going to give you a casting number for is actually from a 1953 235 engine the casting number is 3701433 hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2014 Posts: 13 | | | |
| |
| |