The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hotrod Lincoln), 55 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,376
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
In the process of rebuilding my 49 3600 I've removed the heater. The coil is leaking. Is it an easy fix by a radiator shop or should I replace the unit? If it needs replacing are after-market units available? If so, where? I've checked LMC, Am Classsics & Dennis'.
Thanks for the help!
Dierks

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
Your local rad shop should be able to fix it.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
First, can you get the core out of the heater housing and actually find the leak? There are sealants available at NAPA which might work if the leak is small and easily isolated.

Second, is there a radiator shop nearby that can repair and pressure test the heater core? They can tell you what it will cost for 10 minutes of labor.

Third, do you care about maintaining stock appearance? Chevy Duty sells a replacement heater unit that's easy to install and works great, but it's a small black cube and not much to look at. Have you looked in the Swap Meet yet?


1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
Thanks for the help. I've removed the heater and core. I'll take it to my local shop and see what they can do. The leak is very obvious so I don't think that an additive that I'd run through the core would work.
Dierks

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I had zero luck with my local rad shop and they took a few days to tell me that they had no sources for a new core. They were not comfortable working on it because something that old can spring new leaks just from the stress of working on it.

OLDCarKook gave the name of one source in a previous thread on this subject. I believe that there are new cores available, but they cost big bucks.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 55
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 55
I bought a 57 with a 350 done by previous owner. He have the 350 radiator cap on it and the presure was to high for the heater core. It was popped and by passed . Put a new (junk yard) core in it and theright cap and worked just fine.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
OldCarKook,
thanks for repeating that information. I will save it this time!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0