The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#105737 10/07/2004 4:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
I'm ready to have my 49 1/2 ton painted and I'm seriously considering (don't laugh) having it done at Earl Scheib. I've done what little body work that was required, it's primed with a good etching primer over bare metal, no glass, no trim, the bed pieces are new and will be painted individually. The inner doors and jambs are done, etc. so it is basically a simple "mask and shoot". I've gotten prices ranging from $500 to $1500. The high end price is from a shop I've used before and does very good work but for what I need done just seems too high. I'm not looking for "show quality" just a decent looking finish as the truck will be a regular driver.

I understand that Scheib manufactures their own paint. Do you know anything the quality?

I've gotten very positive reports from other shops about the local Scheib's quality. The work they've showed me looks very good. The manager seems to have a "side door" approach in that he will do whatever you need beyond their normal menu of choices.

The jingle "ya get what ya pay for" keeps ringing in my head. Am I making a mistake?

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Do you have a Macco or Miracle paint shop near by? As "McPaint" shops go, they aren't "too" bad.

But the Earl, my goodness they just SUCK. The one in a town near me, uses newspaper for masking! That is miles from "professional".

I know nothing about the paint, but I may have a source to find out, I'll let you know.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
I checked with a friend who owns a paint and staple manufacturing company and he didn't know the Earl was still in business! Well, I guess they are not in Georgia.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 27
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 27
Excuse my ignorance... but why would "uses newspaper for masking" be a bad thing? I have always used it at home. Is there something bad about it or is it just not as bling' or easy to use as paper marketed to painters?

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
First off, in a business, it is not productive. Unless you are paying your prepers a buck an hour masking paper is CHEAPER to use.

Not only that, it is VERY thin and paint can and WILL soak thru causing damage.

Personally, I have a few rolls in my garage and a cheap masking machine. My time in the garage is valuable, I want to get done as much as I can.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
I have heard that newsprint is covered with loose paper fibers, not a good thing for painting. Whereas masking paper is clean with no loose fibers.

Lonnie

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Exactly, there are many reasons not to use it, that is one more.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
all of those cheap paint shops are good you cant go wrong if you dont want to do it your self just make sure the body is the way you want it before taking it in look at a few jobs they have done like anything some are better than others

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 196
i use newspaper i also use paint from ebay and dont forget that fisheye remover for the garage paint job YA!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
Hello hrockwell,
I have used both Earl and Macco,reasons being no time or the project was not worthy of a better job.I had my first A.D.painted by Earl.Earls paint seems to oxidize somewhat prematurly.Iwould use them again if i were planning on selling vehicle in the next year and didnt want to invest much time.I also spent a summer working for Earl.The fact is it is a pretty good deal for what you pay,This was the procedure when i worked there-car comes in-gets all parts that can be removed quicker than being masked are removed-compleate 220grit sandjob-chemical cleen(degreaser)-mask yes with newspaper-paint-reassembly.about a 4 hour turnaround.At the time it cost $129.00 I figure even with the very cheapest materials must have been at least 60.00 wholesale.This was a PAINT JOB only,sealer,hardeners for paint,bodywork are all extra.Also let me say that i did see some pretty goodlooking jobs come out of there,the best ones were cars that had been toatly striped prior to coming to shop.Now about 2 years ago i had plymouth neon painted at macco they used a paint called ultraurathane I think,the paint seems to be holding up good but the workmanship was not very good.I got what i paid for.I will do my 53 myself and take my time.If you are satisfied with your body work and dont want to do the final paint you should be allright with one of thease places,also rember thease guys are production shops it will be impossible to get a perfict job out of them.But if you want to do it yourself that 500.00 would buy some pretty higrade paint.Whatever you chose good luck and post some pictures
Aaron

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I do have a Maaco close by and got an estimate from them. They were about $800 using a single step (as opposed to base coal/clear coat) two stage (hardener) paint. They wouldn't tell me the brand of paint. The Earl uses a two stage base coal/clear coat, price about $500. Keep in mind this is a "mask and shoot" job.As far as the shops go, I was more impressed with the cleanliness and shop manager at the Earl.

My reason for even considering this approach is that even though I'll stand by my body work and the extent of prep and rust removal, this truck will be used and is going to spend time outside and in the weather. With all of nooks and crannies in these older vehicles, I've got to believe that rust will develop over time whether I spend $500 or $2000 for a paint job.

I'll have about $12K invested in this project when it is finished so believe me, I'm taking this decision very seriously. Thanks again.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0