The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (TUTS 59, RLB, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl, Gray_Ghost, ShopRag), 132 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,714
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1052163 08/27/2014 2:01 AM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
I could use a little insight here guys. I have a '54 SM420 tranny in my '52 3100. My speedo stopped working a couple of days ago. I unhooked the cable at the tranny and spun the inner cable and the speedo needle jumps as it should. I took the gear housing out of the side of the tranny. The gear only spins about halfway around and binds. It appears the shaft is bent. My first question is- What would cause the shaft to bend like that? I don't want to replace the gear only to have the same thing happen again. My next question is- Where can I find the gears for the SM420? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SmallBlockHead; 09/02/2014 12:34 AM.

1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I know it is hard to find the half ton gear for the speedometer drive.... The 3/4 ton is easier, but makes the speedometer read wrong.....

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
There is a bit of a recess that the driven gear runs in. It is very common for a broken bolt that holds the U' joint together to get jammed up with the gear in this area.
I would start by inserting a magnet in the hole the driven gear came out of. You may also want to pull the bell back to inspect and clean thoroughly.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
I did the rearend gear conversion from 3.90 to 3.55 which already has the speedo reading about 10 MPH low. Any idea how which way the 3/4 ton affects the reading?


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
I'll give the magnet a try tomorrow. Wouldn't a broken bolt in the u-joint cause some vibration in the drive shaft?


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Thanks 'lightning and Dave for the suggestions.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by SmallBlockHead
Wouldn't a broken bolt in the u-joint cause some vibration in the drive shaft?
Not at first, but eventually it will. It would be nice to catch it before major damage is done.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Absolutely! I'll try the magnet later today. Thanks Dave.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Well, after being out of town for four days I finally got the chance to try the magnet as Dave suggested. That's the good news. For the bad news, check the link for the pic. I pulled out all sorts of scraps. I didn't get a bolt but did get a split washer along with enough other metal to know there's major damage. That being the case, I know I'll need drive and driven gears for sure. I should find out the extent of the damage later today. I'll get back with more info. Thanks again for the suggestions.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/abbynormal44/SpeedoWreck_zps6c1707f1.jpg


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That is what I was afraid of frown all to common.



See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Before I tear everything apart, how difficult is it to replace the drive gear (I've never done it before)? Is it just a matter of droppiung the drive shaft by disconnecting the u-joint and pulling the yoke or is it more involved than that? Also, I swapped the ring and pinion gears from the original 3.90 to 3.55. Since then, the speedo registered about 10 MPH lower than the actual speed. Can I make up for that in the speedo gear change?


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The driven gear is pressed on the front yoke.
These 4 speed speedo gears are getting hard to get, so being you have changed out the diff gears I would buy any speedo gear set you can find and then use a speedo correction adapter to compensate.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
I just found a NOS gear set on Ebay for $80 (including shipping). It's the same part number referenced in the parts & accessories manual- 3709359. Since they're so hard to find, I'm thinking I'd better snatch them up.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Sorry, should have stated the set is the same set mentioned in the manual for the '54 4-speeds.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
1954 1/2 ton had a 3.9 diff(4.11 before 54) so the gear set is a little different tooth count than the earlier ones, but you already said you have a 54 trans. The NOS set should make your speedo read the same as before. It any case a speedo correction adapter will be needed if you want the speedo exact.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Dave, I have a '54 SM420 and a '54 RE in my '52 3100. I know 3.90 is what I had before installing the 3.55 set. I'm not too worried about the speed being 10 MPH off right now knowing I can add an adapter. I figured I was lucky to find a NOS speedo gear set.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
OK. Now i'm pretty confused.I removed the U-Joint yoke expecting the drive gear to be in pieces accounting for the pieces I found (see link below for pics). It isn't. It's dinged up some put intact (see pics). There were no missing bolts from the U-Joint trunion bearing retaining clips. The bolt holding the yoke onto the main shaft was in place and tight. The main shaft teeth are in good shape (see pics). So my question is, where the heck did the pieces come from? As you can see in the pic with the broken pieces, there is also a split (lock) washer there. I checked the drained oil and also removed the side plate from the tranny and found no more pieces. I can buy another gear set and install them, but that doesn't solve the mystery of where the broken parts came from. HELP!!!!!

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/abb...1&_suid=1409613008337046232981696039

Last edited by SmallBlockHead; 09/02/2014 12:35 AM.

1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
OK. It just dawned on me that I had the u-joint and yoke replaced several montha ago when I had a new clutch and pressure plate installed. The old u-joint was completely trashed and had worn out the yoke. Now I'm wondering if my mechanic didn't leave parts of the old trunion bearings in there somewhere. That could also account for the lock washer. Unless anyone can see something in the pics that I'm overlooking, I think that may be the root cause.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Looking closely at the larger pieces I found and comparing them to a trunion bearing, they are an exact match to the size and the radius. I think my suspicions are correct.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It does look like some parts were left over inside during the last job.
It is sooooo common for broken pieces to be left behind in the recess around the driven gear.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
I feel more at ease now with simply replacing the drive and driven gears. Thanks for all of the feedback Dave. I'll let you know how it goes.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Today, I received the gear set I ordered and immediately kicked myself in the butt. I took the PO of my '52 3100 at his word when he told me the tranny was a '54. After all, I new the rear end was a '54 after having done the 3.55 conversion. Here's the butt kicking part. The tranny is a '51. AFTER looking at the gear set I decided to check the code stamped on the tranny case. B191 (February '51). The gear set was the same from 48-53 but changed in '54. Aaargh! Time to resume the search. There is a junkyard near here that has an old 3100 that still had the SM420 in it the last time I was there. I guess I'll be going there this weekend.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Did you change to the 1954 3.90 Ring & Pinion or to a 3.55 Ring & Pinion?

The speedometer gear set changed in 1954 because the rear-end changed from 4.11 (47-53) to 3.90 (1954/55st).

If you have a replacement 3.55 R&P, your speedometer will still be off with a 1954 3100 speedometer gear set.



Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
Yes, I changed to a '54 3.55 R&P gear. The speedo was reading about 10 MPH lower than the actual speed (I don't have the original tire size either). I know I can compensate for variations like that with an adapter after getting a Speedo gear set.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

The 3.55 R&P gears conversion is not a change to a 1954 rear end. The 3.55 rear end was not standard in an 1954 1/2 ton truck.

My 1954 3100 trucks have been converted from the original 3.90 rear end to the 3.55 rear end.

I also have tires on original 16" wheels that are about 10% larger diameter than the original tires.

To compensate for the speedometer error from the 3.55 and the tires, I use an adapter from The Speedometer Shop. My speedometer/odometer now has less than a 1% error.

http://speedometershop.com/rep-pag.htm

I think that Jim Carter also sells an adapter at a good price.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 98
I should have said I have a '54 rearend that I changed from a 3.90 to the 3.55 from Patricks. I've searched al over the web and junkyards/swap meets within a 50 mile radius of my address- nothing. I tried to rehab the original gears today. I cleaned up the scars in the teeth with a Dremel and straightened the shaft on the driven gear to the point that it spins freely. Got everything put back together tonight. Will try it out tomorrow.


1952 Chevy 3100
Semper Fi !

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0