The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 85
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 85
Hi,

Installing a one wire alternator on my 56 Chevy pickup and need a little help. Someone (OK, It was me ) disconnected the wires from the ammeter and now I don't know the pin outs on the back of the gauge. Which side is positive? My understanding is that I connect the alternator to the positive side of the ammeter and the negative side of the ammeter to the starter. Sound right?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
got a wiring diagram? across that diagram there's a line that's labeled "front of dash", beyond it the headlights, that diagram is laid out exactly like the truck, facing the dash you can see which wire goes where .... easy

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 85
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 85
Hey Bill,

Funny, I have looked at that wiring diagram so many times and never noticed the front of dash line. Only two connectors on the ammeter right?

Thanks.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes 2, although sometimes folks use the ammeter to tap off for accessories, as it's a battery connection

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
I have a 1947 3100 with a 12 volt electrical system. Recently, I put new brushes and a voltage regulator in the alternator. However, I have to 'excite' the alternator on every restart in order to get it to put out 13 plus volts. The alternator has a battery wire and a two-terminal connector that has a jumper wire from the battery terminal to terminal number 2.

Any ideas how to remedy this condition? By the way, the PO has a simple toggle switch for the lights. Do I need to install the original light switch to resolve the issue or is there another problem with the alternator?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by HandyAndy1947; 09/28/2014 2:12 AM. Reason: AdditionaL Info

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
I have a two pin alt on my 52 1/2 ton. I also have a 12 volt regulator. No one wire here. It takes a single rev up to about 1000 rpm to get it charging. Works fine and has no issues. I hit that rpm range at the first shift point from my driveway and after that no problems. I only use one pin out of the two, battery. It might be an internal regulator? It might not. It works so I have not messed with it. Will yours self excite at higher RPM? If not you might have a defective BOOB(Bad Out Of Box) regulator. Load switch like your headlight switch won't have any effect on the alternator, But might cause some issues if not fused.


Steve H
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Originally Posted by HandyAndy1947
is there another problem with the alternator?

You have gotten one of the early style internal regulators that don't self-excite unless the idiot light circuit is connected. You can either install a 2-wire warning light from the ignition switch output through the bulb to the unused blade terminal on the regulator, or swap to a later-design regulator that has an internal excitation circuit. The newer regulators (sometimes called "1-wire") work as soon as the alternator RPM is goosed up a little after startup.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Now, that I did not know. Thanks Hotrod!


Steve H
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Thanks Hotrod and Steve,

I apologize for my late reply, a family member is hospitalized. All is well, so it's back to my p/u!

Thanks again,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0