The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1050605 08/19/2014 10:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Starting to look around for a Taskforce truck again, and starting to look around here, so will be looking for a Canadian '55-'56, but try as I might, I'm not lucking out at finding a page or website dedicated to Canadian made '55 - '59 truck specs. I could swear there use to be such info, but just can't seem to be able to find it again.

Can anyone help? Just want to do some reading/learning, so that when looking at a truck, I can see what is correct, and what might be wrong with it.

Thanks in advance! smile

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Before My time, I am not aware of the website you mentioned. Once you have a likely candidate you could post the serial here and your fellow Canadians can help you decipher it.

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Thanks 3B! smile

I do have a grasp on how to read the vin numbers...what I thought I had found a while back, and what I was looking for again lately, were specs and options info...I6 or V8...color...pics...etc smile

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 241
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 241
I found this for US trucks
http://1955gmc.com/1955-59gmcguide.html
But I don't believe I have seen anything for the trucks built in Oshawa. The service manuals do have some info in the front cover. There is always the GM heritage site that you can get info on the truck once you have the VIN,
http://www.gmcanada.com/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage

Mark


1952 GMC 9430 one ton pickup, a work in progress

1952 1-ton pictures on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the Canadian & US versions of the TF trucks are really the same specs, except for the ID codes and tags and the fender series emblems .... for the US TF trucks, Mike B has a page here with some ID details, and there's a short run down here of years, and there's lots of info at the Old Chevy Manual site .... for CDN specific info, the only place I've ever seen is this pre-55 site, although they do have the CDN vin decode info for 55-57, which came from an old Scotts Super Trucks paper catalog .... good luck with the hunt!

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Thanks 52_Ton, and red58!! smile

I know there are other differences, like didn't the Oshawa trucks come stock with 16" rims, while they only got 15" rims down south? Is that correct?? ...wish there was a Canadian Taskforce site...

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
15's were the standard wheels either place ... the 57 CDN glovebox book I have lists 15 as standard, 17.5 and 19.5 optional for the 1300 and 1400 series, I'd expect that was the same for 55-6, might not have been an option for 16's in Canada .... you'll have to start collecting the info and put up a CDN site grin

I should add the standard engine in Canada was the 235 with the 283 V8 as an option, and AFAIK the color offerings were the same as in the US

Bill

Last edited by red58; 08/20/2014 3:12 AM.

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Very interesting...see, I did not know that.

I'm guessing the 283 option would show up on the vin on the Canadian truck...correct? So if I were to see a truck with a 283, it should have an 8 instead of a 6 in the vin, or a v?

Oh, and I might just to that...the Canadian site thing, but I'll need a lot of help to get it done right!! It should be more of a collaboration project smile

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
after the model/series numbers in the vin, is either '6' or '8' to indicate engine .... I'm sure folks here who have CDN info would collaborate - but as I said, there really isn't much difference in the trucks - here's the US options list, and no doubt a purchaser could have ordered about anything added just like in the US, including a range of 3rd party goodies available via the dealer

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Hey Bill, Thanks!!

So if the vin says it's a 6, and I find an 8 under its hood, then that means the engine was changed...fair enough.

I figured there would have been a few differences that would make a Canadian truck stand out, (even if just a different paint scheme...oh, now I have to find the paint/colors chart available back in '56) but if they are basically the same as the US trucks, then I'll just those as guidance when looking for my own smile

Thanks again!! smile


Last edited by Before My Time; 08/20/2014 4:19 PM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
another way to tell if the V8 is a change is the front mounts were riveted on at the factory, bolted on if done later, and really fake would be add-on side engine mounts - and of course, a 55/56 should have a 265 if still an 'unmolested' original

the Factory Assembly Manual is a pretty good guide for the 55/56, it even includes the right hand drive details, which were primarily assembled in Canada for export, the differences not shown are the series designations, particularly for the emblems .... 56 paint chips

Bill

Last edited by red58; 08/20/2014 4:36 PM.

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0