The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1048131 08/09/2014 3:50 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I've been welding since I was just a sprout, and I've
made a living at it for many years since, and I've
been aware of the hazards involved with welding,
especially when welding galvanized or plated items.
But.....like most of us, I figure I can get away with
it this time and go ahead and weld coated or plated
parts without wearing a mask. What the heck, I can
hold my breath long enough to run those short beads
then lean out and gulp some fresh air, right? You
would think I would learn cuz this tain't the first
time I've dared to weld it with out a mask and ended
up being sick for a few days.
I've made a bunch of stands, carts and what-not from
some nice 2 x 1.25 rectangular tubing that I
scrounged many years ago. Only problem is it's
plated. So the last two days on and off and between
the chores, I've been cutting, fitting and welding
this cart together for my plasma torch.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/156914709
So by yesterday afternoon, I'm starting to feel like
I got the flu or a bad cold coming on. Head and neck
ache, stuffy feeling in the head, a little nauseous
a little shaky, which I never am.
I'm pretty healthy and I'd bet I ain't fighting a cold
in the middle of the summer. Pretty sure it's the
Metal fume fever, Monday morning fever, zinc shakes,
galvie flu, metal dust fever or what ever the
favorite term is for you welders out there, but I
got it for a few days.
I'm posting this only so any of you nebies to welding
can be aware of the hazard. Wear a mask if you grind
it off, wear a mask if you weld it, and save your
self a few days of feelin' crappy.

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/09/2014 3:51 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Yeah I try to avoid it as much as possible. have welded bits and pieces, but no projects..... maybe move outdoors for welding....

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
I spent most of an 8-hour day cutting and welding on a galvanized water tank that needed fitting to a concrete mixer truck after an air pressure regulator stuck and blew the end out of the original tank on the mixer. I couldn't get out of bed for two days- - - -first I was afraid I'd die, and then I was afraid I wouldn't!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Don't know why we do it Jerry, we know better but do it anyway.
Felt real bad most of the day but it seems to be clearing out
tonight, hope I have a better Sunday than I did Saturday.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
We've just about been forbidden to weld anything that contains or produces hexavalent chrome while at work.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
Denny;

Hope you're feeling better now. You spoke about wearing a mask to avoid breathing the fumes. What kind of filter protects the user from being affected by the galvie fumes?
Thanks

SimS

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Probably find them at your local welding supply:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/.../?N=7576200+3294529207+8690968&rt=r3

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 326
Thanks for the link. After cruising that site, I went with the half face mask version for welding.

SimS

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
I was at a local arts and crafts fair. A woman was offering her welded garden art for sale. Most of it was sculptures made from old scrap metal parts. Gears, tool parts, old pipe etc. She also offered welding classes for artists. I noticed a lot of galvanized and chrome pieces welded together. I asked if she did a lot of grinding of the coatings. She said, "Whatever."


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0