The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny), 138 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
My 59 235 has good oil pressure. When I drive for a distance (a couple miles)the lifters start to rattle under load,climbing etc. When I let up and coast they quiet down.When it starts rattling the oil pressure still reads 30.when it gets real bad it starts to go down to about 15,but not as a rule.Some times the day after a long drive it will rattle at startup and stay rattling until the oil gets to the lifters and then it quiets down. The pickup screen is ok,the pressure is good so I don't think it's the pump. I'm guessing that for some reason the oil is restricted from reaching the lifters.I plan on removing the oil pan and valve cover this weekend and do a search. What should I look for?I will remove the pump and visually inspect it as well as the pickup tube.I heard something about a head bolt that is drilled for oil passage on some of these.Is this on my engine? Where would I find it? I really need help here. I am driving this every day but only short trips. I'm afraid I'm going to ruin this rebuilt engine. Help!---Jack

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I would recommend you start by reading what I have written about this on my BLOG


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
Thanks Dave. That is some very helpful information.---Jack

Pre '68 Dave #1047193 08/05/2014 4:54 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
I'm afraid to say it. I might jinx it.It worked. I followed the procedure in your blog for making a groove in the pushrods to let air get out of the lifter and it worked.I drove the truck a bit yesterday and climbed some hills today and the ticking is gone.I hope this is the end of this phase of renovation so I can move on to other things. Like the from end,the gas gauge,the rear springs.---Thanks ---Jack

CJSTP #1047259 08/05/2014 9:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Very good to here!
These projects are never done nor should they.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
CJSTP #1047504 08/06/2014 7:41 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by CJSTP
I followed the procedure in your blog for making a groove in the pushrods to let air get out of the lifter...

Congratulations Jack!

May I ask what you used to make the groove? How big of a groove are we talking about here?


~Justin

1937 Chevy 1/2-ton
"Wylburr Clyde"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Google

My Grandfather bought it new and Dad drove it through highschool. The 3rd & 4th generations put it back on the road on 8/8/2015!
CJDublu #1047525 08/06/2014 9:28 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
I used a dremel with a small cutoff disc. I just cut a very shallow groove the thickness of the disc from the center out to the edge.Less that 1/16" deep.Just a path for the air to escape.---Jack


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0