| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Joe H, moparguy),
118
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 | My 59 235 has good oil pressure. When I drive for a distance (a couple miles)the lifters start to rattle under load,climbing etc. When I let up and coast they quiet down.When it starts rattling the oil pressure still reads 30.when it gets real bad it starts to go down to about 15,but not as a rule.Some times the day after a long drive it will rattle at startup and stay rattling until the oil gets to the lifters and then it quiets down. The pickup screen is ok,the pressure is good so I don't think it's the pump. I'm guessing that for some reason the oil is restricted from reaching the lifters.I plan on removing the oil pan and valve cover this weekend and do a search. What should I look for?I will remove the pump and visually inspect it as well as the pickup tube.I heard something about a head bolt that is drilled for oil passage on some of these.Is this on my engine? Where would I find it? I really need help here. I am driving this every day but only short trips. I'm afraid I'm going to ruin this rebuilt engine. Help!---Jack | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I would recommend you start by reading what I have written about this on my BLOG
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 | Thanks Dave. That is some very helpful information.---Jack | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 | I'm afraid to say it. I might jinx it.It worked. I followed the procedure in your blog for making a groove in the pushrods to let air get out of the lifter and it worked.I drove the truck a bit yesterday and climbed some hills today and the ticking is gone.I hope this is the end of this phase of renovation so I can move on to other things. Like the from end,the gas gauge,the rear springs.---Thanks ---Jack | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Very good to here! These projects are never done nor should they.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jun 2014 Posts: 106 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2014 Posts: 106 | I followed the procedure in your blog for making a groove in the pushrods to let air get out of the lifter... Congratulations Jack! May I ask what you used to make the groove? How big of a groove are we talking about here? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 161 | I used a dremel with a small cutoff disc. I just cut a very shallow groove the thickness of the disc from the center out to the edge.Less that 1/16" deep.Just a path for the air to escape.---Jack | | |
| |
| |