The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (fonz8261, Oswald), 157 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,337
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1046026 07/31/2014 7:23 AM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
So I painted the engine:

http://i.imgur.com/nzP1EE2l.jpg

I had 5 quarts of 10w30 ready for the engine then remembered when I pulled the dipstick there was (old) oil in it. The oil was not surprisingly black. I chucked up a flat head screw driver extension and primed the oil pump. Here's what came out of all but 4 rocker oil holes.

http://i.imgur.com/CfWyujil.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7Qfmqdol.jpg

This, I assume, is old oil and crud and water? Either way I stopped after too long, knowing I'd need to change the oil asap. What else should I do?

On the plus side, there was very good compression (resistance against the drill) and NO leaks anywhere.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
you might want to check your links on your pics. I could not get them to open. It could be my phone.

one thing I would consider if you have not dropped your oil pan is to do so and make sure it's clean. My engine had a lot of sludge in it.


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
As you surmised, that coffee w/alittle creamer has water in it, probably oil, perhaps some kind of engine honey and who knows what else....
As was mentioned and since you still have somewhat easy access, drop the pan after you've drained all that gunk out and inspect what you've got. The oil pump pickup screen probably needs cleaned out and if that pan hasn't been dropped in a long time it's probably got all kinds of gunk built up in the bottom. The pan on my 54 engine has 2 baffles installed to keep the oil from splashing around I rekon, and theres holes drilled towards the bottom of these baffles to allow the oil to pass through them, make sure theres no gunk building up and clogging those holes.
What you might do once you button the clean pan back up is to go and buy some cheap 10w30 oil and cycle it through the block w/your drill enough to let it clean out the passages etc. Drain and then fill w/the good stuff.

The oil in my old 216 looked alot worse than that and I turned the engine over quite a bit with it while troubleshooting it. Didn't seem to do any harm, at least no more than what the engine had going on in it after sitting 40 some odd yrs grin
I did flush it out w/some cheap oil then refilled w/some good stuff before I started it up tho....
Good luck
Dave

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Especially if you are putting detergent oil in the engine, it will break loose all the sludge (if there is any) and plug up things maybe.

John

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
In dropping and replacing the pan, what's being used for gaskets? Cork or silicone?

Can I just clean the screen or do I need to replace it?

Lastly: I have no oil filter on my engine. Why not and how do I add one?

Last edited by jrdamien; 07/31/2014 5:59 PM.
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
"Here's what came out of all but 4 rocker oil holes."

Not to stray off the good advice being given in this topic, or prevent any progress, but did anything at all come out of the other four rocker arm holes?

I think you had decided to not remove the rocker arm assembly in your previous thread, but a full assembly removal & cleaning deserves reconsideration if four of them are not emitting (whatever that is) fluid.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by ClaudeTheTruck
"Here's what came out of all but 4 rocker oil holes."

Not to stray off the good advice being given in this topic, or prevent any progress, but did anything at all come out of the other four rocker arm holes?

I think you had decided to not remove the rocker arm assembly in your previous thread, but a full assembly removal & cleaning deserves reconsideration if four of them are not emitting (whatever that is) fluid.

Brad

You could see the crud starting to come out but this is where I stopped for fear of just pushing more crud into everything. I'll change the oil out first and then, if nothing comes out, I will have to remove and clean the rocker assembly.

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
That sounds like a plan! I'm not fond of crud either.

On your other questions:
1. The oil pan gaskets I have purchased are cork (2 pcs) & rubber (2 pcs)in each set. However, I do know folks who make their own gaskets from both cork and silicone.

2. The pickup screen can just be cleaned, or the whole pickup can be replaced (tube arm & 'screened' suction part), but that will depend on what condition it is in.

3. Oil filters were optional (not installed) for many of the model years this website covers, and that is probably why your engine is missing one. There's plenty of information about choices on adding a filter on this forum.

Someone's going to ask you what year 235 you have.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
The 235 is a 60 or 61.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0