Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
116
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,541 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 | I am officially frustrated. Put a V8 in my 56 Chevy a few weeks ago. I installed the radiator hoses tonight and started adding water to the radiator. It leaked out almost as fast as I could put it in. The leak is coming from the bottom of the timing chain cover. Don't know a ton about this engine, other than it is 350 cid from a 96 Chevy pickup with the Vortec heads.
So, any thoughts how to troubleshoot? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | if the water isn't actually coming from a bad water pump, you're gonna hafta pull that cover, maybe a rotten frost plug under there
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 | Hi Bill,
I don't think it is coming from the water pump as it looked dry when I was underneath. Darn, I was hoping to get it running this week.
I assume the harmonic balancer needs to be pulled? What else do I need to do to get at the freeze plugs? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | The 350 doesn't have any freeze plugs under the timing cover, and if it did, the leak would go into the oil pan, not outside. Check the gaskets where the water pump bolts to the block. You would have to remove the water pump (and the oil pan) to get the timing cover off, anyway. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 | Hi Jerry,
I thought the plugs under the timing cover were freeze plugs but see that they are oil plugs.
The leak was a steady stream of water that appeared to be coming from the bottom of the timing chain cover, passenger side. It was getting dark though so it could have been leaking from somewhere above. There was a fair amount of sealant on the bottom of the timing chain cover, maybe a failed prior attempt to fix it?
I will dig into it tonight after work. If I could get by with just a new water pump (better yet just new gaskets), it would make my day! I will respond with findings. Thx. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 326 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 326 | If it's leaking on the passenger side, it's probably just a gasket problem. The passenger side has a lower coolant passage that takes the "long" gasket with three holes. The "short" gasket with two holes will also fit but the water just pours out between the pump and the block. Don't ask me how I know this!! BTDT
SimS | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 | Hi,
Found the problem, and boy do I feel stupid! The guy that put the motor together before I purchased it installed the water pump...without a gasket!
Do you guys recommend any permatex or is the fiber gasket sufficient to get a good seal?
Thanks again for your help. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 | Use a good tacky sealer to help hold the gaskets in place during installation, and to help seal up the fiber gasket. A thin coat will do....don't overdo it.
Gasgacinch, Hi-Tack, etc.
Apply per instructions, both sides (flange or gasket), let it flash off before assembling. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 549 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 549 | Hi,
The guy that put the motor together before I purchased it installed the water pump...without a gasket! That's scary. Makes you wonder what else he did or didn't do. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 85 | Same exact thought I had. Been going through everything else with a fine tooth comb to make sure it was done right. With any luck we will be firing it up on Monday.
Beautiful '58 Lonny! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | It's a little hard to find, but I like to use Permatex Super 300. It's a brush-on liquid sealer that was developed to resist aviation gasoline, and it stays flexible forever, much better than the 3-D Permatex brush-on stuff. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |