The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Peggy M, mick53, Steelonsteel, Otto Skorzeny, Robert Crandall, Charles in CA, JW51), 130 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,267
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
My truck has the standard 8 leafs on the rear.I noticed since I got it that it tends to sway like a boat on corners. I put all new shocks in it but it still sways with very little effort. Today I loaded 6 80lb bags of concrete in the back of my truck and it inverted the springs. That's 480 lbs.The bed is made of wood that probably weighs about 300 lbs total. My springs are way too wimpy for my needs. How can I beef them up? I've been told that helper springs is the way to go but I have no idea how to go about this. Anyone got any ideas what I should do to give me a better load capacity?
I don't plan on loading up concrete on a regular basis but I'm a carpenter and this truck is intended as a work truck,so I will need to carry materials from time to time.---Jack

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
New leafs, heavier leafs, helper springs, air bags. Check with a spring shop. They should be able to fix you up.

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
If you look for CPP sway bars, check eBay. I bought mine directly from them on eBay and saved some bucks!

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
When I need something, I go shopping online for the best price. Apparently CPP offers deals on eBay, because they were cheaper there than on their own site, but you can always buy from their online catalog if you want. I also got the CPP brake booster from Summit Racing at a better price than CPP offers on their own site.

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
Thanks for all the info. I'm sure it is just a matter of worn out sagging springs.I saw their site and I'm going to get together the cash to do this. Meanwhile I think I'll do a little bargain shopping.---Jack

Denny Graham #1044243 07/23/2014 2:42 AM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
I notice CPP also sells leaf springs and they are cheaper than Eatons by over $200. ---Jack

CJSTP #1044264 07/23/2014 3:56 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Eaton Detroit Spring sets the standard for replacement springs, working from OE blueprints, keep your $$$ in the US instead of buying Chinese springs made from US scrap metal wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
CJSTP #1044301 07/23/2014 11:04 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
Who says CPP has Chinese products? Ever see a Chinese label on their parts? I haven't! I have seen good quality in their parts though. They are huge in suspension components, and many of the other big name vendors sell their parts.

CJSTP #1044368 07/23/2014 5:23 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
Actually I'm not interested in their politics.I just want to know if the product is any good.I know that some body parts made in China don't fit like they should.Is that the case with these springs?

CJSTP #1044680 07/25/2014 1:25 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
St. Louis Spring also has a good product, made in St. Louis, and good prices.
Samantha


1954 Chevy 3100
Picked from the Field
Follow in the DITY
Samantha #1045661 07/29/2014 4:26 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
Samantha-just placed my order with them. Great prices.Thanks---Jack

CJSTP #1045988 07/31/2014 3:22 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
Jack - I'm glad they were able to take care of you. Was it still about $125 a spring (plus shipping)?
Samantha


1954 Chevy 3100
Picked from the Field
Follow in the DITY
CJSTP #1046041 07/31/2014 12:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jack,

When you receive the springs, would please post a photo of a "clip" that holds the end of a leaf to the leaf above it.

There is a modern clip that is a metal band around a piece of rubber. The original clip is a thicker piece of metal, with no rubber.

Both work well.

tclederman #1047088 08/05/2014 2:46 AM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
I will do that.---Jack

Samantha #1047089 08/05/2014 2:49 AM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
They're asking $159 plus for rears for a 51. Great price in my book.---Jack

tclederman #1047531 08/06/2014 9:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
The clips are heavy metal with no rubber.---Jack spring clip


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0