| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
182
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,228 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 | Ok, had to get your attention. I recently picked up a 1952 3 window that is in great shape and came out of Nebraska. Everything is original on it except for the paint and a few small items. When I was looking to buy it I made sure to look at the serial numbers for the tran, engine and rear diff. I know you cannot have a truly original matching #s truck with these things as none of the numbers really match up but the engine block serial number intrigued me on this one. I love original vehicles and love researching them but these trucks are hard to find good info on so I am putting it out there for you all. The serial number on my engine is:
KBA 34I00I
So yes, those are I's, not 1's. I know what the KBA stands for but I am wondering about the last six digits. Wondering if my 52 216 is the 341,001 engine built, the first engine built (in 1952) or what? Also, what's up with the I's instead of 1's? I know the first engine built starts with 1001 so that is why I am so intrigued.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Jason | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | You have the 33,001st KBA unit (1952, Truck 216, Flint Engine Plant). The number 'ones' were stamped like the letter 'eye'...GM didn't use the letter 'eye' in their serial numbers to prevent confusion. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 | Thanks for the info, Mike. While not the first, still pretty cool and unique to me. Can I ask where you have found this kind of information? I have been searching for months before I posted to this forum and could not find anything like that.
Jason | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 | Thanks, Tim. I have seen that one more than a few times. My question was about the I's vs. the 1's for GM and Chevy, etc. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | You won't find the answer to your question spelled out anywhere, you have to search it out and come to the conclusion they didn't use the letter 'eye'. If you look in the front pages of any Chevrolet Parts Book from the mid 50's you will find engine and chassis serial numbers listed, you will not find the letter 'eye' used anywhere. Back in the 30's each passenger car model year was identified by a letter; 1935 = E 1936 = F 1937 = G 1938 = H 1939 = J 1940 = K They skipped 'eye' Then in 1941 they started with letter 'A' again; 1942 = B WWII got in the way... 1946 = D . . . 1950 = H 1951 = J They skipped 'eye' again...this same pattern happened for the trucks and the engines...no letter 'eye' anywhere. Mike B  I just noticed I miss quoted your engine unit number...you have the 340,001st engine.
Last edited by Mike B; 07/19/2014 6:20 AM.
| | |
| |
| |