The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (carbking, 2-Ton, Guitplayer), 205 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1042225 07/13/2014 7:58 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
Now that I am retired decided to put a 46 together that I had sitting apart for the last 25 years. Have the engine apart rods and mains are good, honed the cylinders and put in new rings, replacing the cam and lifters. My problem is I have the new lifters from 25 years ago but they have slight surface rust on them some cleaned up easily with oil and Arkansas Stone should I replace the just the ones that have slight pitting in them or should I replace them all?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Interesting question... I wonder if there is any corrosion inside of them??

John

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
No the insides are clean pulled them apart and clean them in mineral spirits.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I would need to see them, but I have used lifters with minor pitting before with on problems.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
AH! oil holes, (think knurling) just make sure the major dimensions are polished, you should be OK, But as Dave says, I would have to see them.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
That was kind of my feeling.... I'd probably use them. But I figure everyone would be grabbing the pitch forks on here....LOL

John

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
Posted pics on photobucket link. My major concern is getting it broke in with the new cam. I heard that you can wreck a cam in the first 20 minutes of runningif it isn't set up right.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
pre Dave has a good presentation on his website about the hydraulic lifters.

John

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
You want a good cam pre lube to coat the cam /lifters with. Also pre oil up the engine before starting by removing the distributor and using a rod ground to fit into the oil pump and drive with a drill.
Also could pump up the lifters with oil before installing.

John


Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
Follow the cam break-in instructions of any aftermarket cam manufacturer.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
I am using permatex prelube on everything and plan to preload the lifters before I install them. When is the best time to get the motor running rite after I get it on the frame or should I wait until the truck is almost finished? The way I am going hopefully it won't take me another 25 years? Thanks Wayne

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I ran my in as soon as it was ready..... just wish the truck was. LOL
But as long as you are not going to leave it sit for another 20 years, it should be okay. Figure it this way, after you break it in, you can always start and run it occasionally.

John


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0