The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Eileen, Otto Skorzeny, Maybellene, JW51), 87 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,303
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
Hi-
I think the starter drive unit in my starter is going out as it doesn't consistently engage (takes about 3 or 4 stomps to get it to go. Teeth are fine, and it is the correct match for the flywheel.

The engine is a 58-62 235, but its in a 53 truck w/ stomp start. Everything is 12 volts(and a 4spd if that matters).

I ordered a started rebuild kit for a '56 chevy truck w/ 235 from napa hoping to get the right drive unit (12 volt) but it wound up being nearly an inch sorter than my original one.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums.../IMG_20140629_221402_282_zpsjw8mabdx.jpg

Short one is the new one... Tall one is the original.
Its 3 7/8" long. New one is only 3 1/8".

Can anyone give me a reference for another year truck that would have had a stomp starter and 12 volts, so i can find a rebuild kit with the appropriate drive, or know where i can get just the drive unit?

thanks-
Ben

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the 12V stomp was used from 55.2- 60, but if a 56 doesn't work no telling what you have, might even still be a 6V, which works fine on 12V - you might want to check the contact in the box on the starter before saying the problem is the starter, very common for them to get so corroded down from arcing that they get intermittent

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
the contact is fine, the starter box is relatively new and i cleaned the contacts. the starter spins fine under power- it just doesn't always spin the flywheel, spins free.
Which means the drive unit is slipping/going bad.

I've confirmed it is a 12 volt unit. Just need to figure out a source for the drive.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Did you do he engine swap?

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
I did not. However I have verified the engine is a 58-62 235.
I know that truck has been converted to 12 volts and has the correct flywheel. The truck started fine with this starter and this engine/flywheel combo for the 10 years prior to it getting parked for 13 years.

I also have the original 6 volt starter and 216 flywheel sitting here for comparison, and can confirm they are different from the ones on the truck.

The starter drive unit that came out of my 12 volt starter matches the tooth pattern on the 12 volt starter drive that came in the rebuild kit- the new one is just too short (i'm guessing its for a v8 starter not an L6)

-Ben

Last edited by SeatGuy; 06/30/2014 9:26 PM.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Napa might have a complete 12 volt starter on the shelf to compare.


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
I had the same problem with my 55.2 TF truck with a 235 engine. All the FLAPS around here kept trying to sell me the wrong starter drive. Went to a automotive auto electric repair place, and they were able to get me what I needed. And also at a cheaper price.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
"truck started fine with this starter (...) for 10 years prior to it getting parked for 13 years."
check the contacts in the box, they may well be heavily oxidized after sitting in your [our] climate

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
You'll have to take your starter drive to a place that rebuilds starters to get the correct drive.

The local FLAPS will only get you the shorter drive.

I went through the same problem with my 58 235 and drove to a shop that rebuilds starters and they had the correct drive.

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 24
Good to hear i'm not the only one Roy.
I've been doing a lot of reading after searching and it seems like this is not an uncommon problem (the drive going out)- and the few I've read with the same problem getting the right replacement did what you did.

I'm still hoping to find a part number and source it myself. If I can find one, I'll post it.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0