The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roy Rodgers, Oswald, Brian Moore), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
I'm just getting around to (it's been 20 years) my 51 GMC 1/2T short bed PU. Clutch poblems so I need to drop the driveshaft. I'm at the point where I'm suppose to slide the slip yoke and journal assembly back onto the shaft and lower the torque tube to the floor. Problem is the cross member (rear transmissioo mounts to) will not let me drop it to the floor so I can remove the transmission. I can remove the slip yoke by jacking up the driveshaft but the splined shaft is still in the way. Do I need to remove the cross member or what am I missing?

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
Did you remove the yoke mount from the cross member? That should give you the clearance.


Pete

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I move/slide/tap the rear u-joint yoke backwards far enough to allow the torque-tube to be moved up again the floor/bed. I then place a piece of 2x4 across the insides of both frame rails to hold the torque-tube up and out of the way.

It is then a piece of cake to remove and replace any transmission with no obstructions.

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
Tim/Pete, This has a single u-joint (model 101-22). The cross member that causes the interference is the one with the transmission mount (I've removed that so the only thing left is the cross member itself). I can remove the slip yoke but there is not enough room to remove the housing ball (I need just another 1/4" to get that off but the splined shaft would still prevent me from dropping the shaft to the floor. Maybe if I could wiggle the housing ball off I could get the torque tube up high enough to remove the transmission as suggested but with the housing ball on the torque tube, I don't think the transmission could move far enough to the rear to get it off. I'll look at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the quick replies.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0