Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (DadsFirstPickup, 2 invisible),
138
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,169 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 | Hi all, Just picked up a 1952 3100 and had a question about the locks. I noticed that I can lock the passenger side from the inside as well as the outside (on the button). The thing that confuses me is why is there no lock on the driver side? I asked someone and they said that is how they all came from factory. Seems a bit weird to me and I would love to know the thinking behind that. Also, I am replacing the door panels right now and have access to the door handles...I would like to swap the door handles so that I am able to lock both sides (passenger from inside and driver from outside), is this possible?
Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 | After posting this I noticed this has been talked about a lot. Also, both of my doors do lock from the inside. Before swapping the door handles, I just want to make sure it is possible as I have not seen anything in the archives for swapping the door handles. Would rather have the outside key lock on the driver side. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The Passenger side outside door lock was standard, and for a long time, the only outside door lock. This was from back when it was illegal to exit a vehicle from the street side when parked at a curb in most places. You would lock the left door from the inside, exit from the right side, then lock it from the outside. The door lock for the drivers side became an option on GM trucks in '52, it is very easy to add one. All you will need is the push button with a lock in it for the handle. Replace the stock door button with the locking one. I believe that you can get matching door lock buttons from any of the vendors, or if you have a good locksmith locally, they can reset an original to match your stock locks. In the case of your truck, the handles and outside locks are the same from '52-'66.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Yes, they can be swapped.
There are several theories why they were made this way. "...it was illegal to exit a vehicle from the street side when parked at a curb in most places" is just one of them. I have never seen any documentation that this statement is a fact. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 | Thanks, gentlemen! Hopefully all goes well and I can get them swapped with no issues. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 | If you buy new lock parts, make sure they are the same as your old ones. I purchased some from Classic Parts of America, and the "rod" (if you can call it that) was too long at the shoulder, and the locks could not be operated. Luckily I got my old ones working with a few replacement parts from Golden State Parts. I also have spare handles that are not the same as my originals. The part that inserts through the door is longer and won't allow the locks to work. Lots of differences between years that nobody seems to know about. Look closely at any parts you get to make sure they match your originals. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | That isn't necessarily just a problem with re-pop parts. I had the same problem when I added a lock to the drivers side of my '55. The lock I used came out of a '57, the rod on it was longer than the original '55 lock on the other side. A little grinding on the rod end to make it the same length corrected it.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 17 | Was able to swap out the handles with no problems at all. Now I can lock the passenger from inside and the driver from the inside or outside. Makes it easier as it's no longer illegal or a safety issue to get out on the driver side  . Let's hope all my mini projects go as easy as this one. Ha! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 215 | I believe what you now have was standard on my 64. A lock option included the passenger door lock. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 1 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 1 | Reassembling my 46 1/2 ton and the passenger side lock seems like the shaft is 1/4" short of engaging it's square hole to operate the locking mechanism. Is this due to an error in reassembly. The lock is original. (same key fits ignition) Where can I find a diagram or illustration of the door lock- regulator- handle- latch-components. I can't recall if the door ever locked before i took it all apart. Of course there doesn't seem to be a factory assembly manual for 46's | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 164 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 164 | If you can find a good locksmith you can have your ignition and door lock keyed the same. I had a civilian friend who was a locksmith do it for me when i was in the airforce stationed in albuquerque.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Reassembling my 46 1/2 ton and the passenger side lock seems like the shaft is 1/4" short of engaging it's square hole to operate the locking mechanism. Is this due to an error in reassembly. The lock is original. (same key fits ignition) Where can I find a diagram or illustration of the door lock- regulator- handle- latch-components. I can't recall if the door ever locked before i took it all apart. Of course there doesn't seem to be a factory assembly manual for 46's It sounds like you have an error in assembly. Did you change any parts? I know if I don't have everything installed correctly on mine the rod from the back of the lock doesn't match up in the right spot. You might want to start your own thread to get more response. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 120 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 120 | Worthless info... I have a 47 canadian made right hand drive 1.5 ton. The lock remains on the same side so its on the drivers door anyway. It never occurred to me the story behind that until I read it here.
'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Worthless info... I have a 47 canadian made right hand drive 1.5 ton. The lock remains on the same side so its on the drivers door anyway. It never occurred to me the story behind that until I read it here. That is NOT worthless information! Many of us in here are junkies for new information. Thank you for sharing. Looks like Chevrolet wasn't concerned if foreigners got run over getting out into traffic.  Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | |
| |