The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (classicchevs), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1035702 06/15/2014 1:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
I found a set of horns on EBay - they said they are from a 50's school bus, who really knows, but I got 'em.

I put a 12V battery on them for a sec. One hummed and the other made no sound.

How can I determine if they are 6V or 12V? How do I go about testing these?

Dual horns


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Did you ground the horn for your test?

Bigtonka
Posted some info on restoring a different type of horn but some of the info might help

Originally Posted by Bigtonka
Kurt,

That faint sound you hear when you release the button is indication that the contact points inside the horn need to be cleaned and adjusted.

When you remove the round cap you'll see something that looks like this....

CLICK

Those two nuts adjust slightly up and down and adjust how the horn sounds. You want to adjust them very slowly, 1/16 of a turn makes a big difference. Up or down too much in either direction will result in no sound. There is an electrical contact point that who's gap is set by playing with these adjustments. There must be a slight gap when set right, but not touching.

I find in the two old horns I've rebuilt a light layer of rust built up on these points, and using emery paper I lightly cleaned it up.

Good luck,
Mark

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
I did ground them, but this helps. Nothing like just taking something apart to see how it works anyway.


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0