The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 147 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1035159 06/12/2014 4:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
Will 235/75/15 fit on original 15 by 41/2 inch rims?I heard that they would work on non steering tires.And i just want them on the back 1948 1/2 ton.In another post DEVE said Walmart installed his 235/75/15 DEVE did you have any problems?thanks

Last edited by oldchevyguy; 06/12/2014 4:36 PM.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
That is what I have on my 52 1/2 ton. With stock wheels. Front and back. No issues but it might matter on yours. Look to see if there is clearance at the tie rods and no rubbing at full stop.


Steve H
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I didn't have any problems, but that doesn't mean it's safe or a good idea. We have engineers that figure out what the parameters should be and if its ill advised, since I have gotten older, I would probably listen to them. A blowout could cost you more than proper size tires.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
A 4 1/2" wheel is about 2" too narrow for that size tire. It will not provide very good sidewall support. While you may not notice it on the back, on the front that combination will cause road wander. There is also a possibility of the tire unseating itself from the bead if the pressure gets too low. A better choice would be at least a 6" wheel, 7" would be the best fit.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 217
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 217
I have 235/75/15 on the back of my truck. They are mounted on 10in wide wheels. I just went out and measured the tread width, 7.5ins on the ground. Probably a 8in wide wheel would be best, but the 10in are what I had, they look good and so far no problems.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I'm with Deve on this one. They will mount on the 4 1/2 inch rims, but you will just have to hope that they will "get you most of the way home" (as I always say).


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 62
Thanks for all the helpful information about about 235/75/15 tires.I will look for some wider rims be before i buy taller tires.thanks

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
A good rule of thum is the wheel width the same as the tread width.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I just put 215/85r16,s on my 16 inch rims. See my post under general truck talk dated 5/3/2014. I had 2-5 inch rims 2-4.5 inch rims and a 4 inch rim. The tire fit fine on all of them.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
1973 to 1987 chevy and gmc 4wd 6 lug rims will work fine, and are relatively ez to find. Those rims will measure 15x8. It has long been popular to put tire sizes up to 35x12.5 on those wheels.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0