| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,213 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 62 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 62 | Will 235/75/15 fit on original 15 by 41/2 inch rims?I heard that they would work on non steering tires.And i just want them on the back 1948 1/2 ton.In another post DEVE said Walmart installed his 235/75/15 DEVE did you have any problems?thanks
Last edited by oldchevyguy; 06/12/2014 4:36 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | That is what I have on my 52 1/2 ton. With stock wheels. Front and back. No issues but it might matter on yours. Look to see if there is clearance at the tie rods and no rubbing at full stop.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I didn't have any problems, but that doesn't mean it's safe or a good idea. We have engineers that figure out what the parameters should be and if its ill advised, since I have gotten older, I would probably listen to them. A blowout could cost you more than proper size tires. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | A 4 1/2" wheel is about 2" too narrow for that size tire. It will not provide very good sidewall support. While you may not notice it on the back, on the front that combination will cause road wander. There is also a possibility of the tire unseating itself from the bead if the pressure gets too low. A better choice would be at least a 6" wheel, 7" would be the best fit.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 | I have 235/75/15 on the back of my truck. They are mounted on 10in wide wheels. I just went out and measured the tread width, 7.5ins on the ground. Probably a 8in wide wheel would be best, but the 10in are what I had, they look good and so far no problems. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | I'm with Deve on this one. They will mount on the 4 1/2 inch rims, but you will just have to hope that they will "get you most of the way home" (as I always say).
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 62 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 62 | Thanks for all the helpful information about about 235/75/15 tires.I will look for some wider rims be before i buy taller tires.thanks | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | A good rule of thum is the wheel width the same as the tread width. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 | I just put 215/85r16,s on my 16 inch rims. See my post under general truck talk dated 5/3/2014. I had 2-5 inch rims 2-4.5 inch rims and a 4 inch rim. The tire fit fine on all of them. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | 1973 to 1987 chevy and gmc 4wd 6 lug rims will work fine, and are relatively ez to find. Those rims will measure 15x8. It has long been popular to put tire sizes up to 35x12.5 on those wheels. | | |
| |
| |