Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,288 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 249 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 249 | I see that there was some kind of paper gasket or spacer between my brake drums and the hub on the rear of my 1950 3600. There are just a few pieces of it remaining, some adheres to the drum and some to the hub. What is the purpose of this paper and how important is it? If it is important, what should I make replacements from? Thanks for any helpful comments.
1950 3600 1951 4400 Gazz
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | not a spacer or shim, just a bit of oiled paper to help avoid parts seizing together, not necessary, but you could replace it with a piece of butcher paper or brown paper bag if you're shooting for 'original'
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Here is an example ...link... | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | The paper is actually a gasket designed to keep oil from leaking out to the shoes. If you look at the back side of the axle flange you will see an oil catcher trough. There is also a hole through the flange inline with this trough. If oil leaks from the axle seal the trough will catch it and direct it through the hole in the flange through a matching hole in the drum and on to the back side of the wheel. Without the gasket oil will seep out between the flange and drum and onto the shoes.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Thanks for that information and explanation
If you use a gasket do you punch a clearance hole for the trough?
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Are you referring to the 3600 Dave or 3100?? The HO52/72 were free floating and should be sealed with the metal seal at the flange to hub.
DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Sorry, I guess I need to pay closer attention. I was referring to 3100 and cars. I do not see a need on a full floating set-up.
Dads50, the gasket needs a hole in it where the transfer hole in the axle and drum is located.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I don't do much work on anything larger than 1/2 tons, but it looks like the 3600 has a similar setup to keep oil or grease off the brakes, at least on the front(pictured).
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | A rear hub (or, rear drum) gasket was used/available for 3100-3800 trucks through at least the Task Force (Blue Chip) years. It is not referred to in Shop Manuals but is listed in parts catalogs.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Just trying to get the correct information out here but those gaskets that you have pictured wouldn't do a thing to keep hypoid grease from getting to the brake drums. This free floating hub is machined from one single billet with a metal seal where the axle flange bolts up and an lip seal behind the flange where the wheel bolts up: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/114877920/largeI truly think the thin paper gaskets are just what was mentioned earlier, simply to keep the drum from bonding with the flange due to rust. You can use them or not. For a trailer queen who would never get her feet wet, I don't see any need for them. Addendum: Where did you see that in the parts book Tim, I can't find it in the 1929-54 book? DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 06/07/2014 12:18 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | In looking at your pic Denny it looks like it has an oil transfer hole in the flange like 1/2 tons. Is there not a tin shield on the back side of the hub, held on by the studs, to collect any oil that happens to leak past the seal and direct it through the hub and drum and out to the back of wheel? The parts book calls it a Deflector, group 5.815. In looking at my parts book it looks like the basic design is the same as I described above for cars and 1/2 tons.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 249 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 249 | Thanks for all the responses! They are cheap enough but I will probably make something since if I can put the brake drums on tomorrow, I can take the truck off the jack stands by Monday and I am getting impatient.
1950 3600 1951 4400 Gazz
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Been eight or nine years since I've had them off Dave, but I think you're correct, there is an oil deflector on the back side of the rear hub now that I think about it. I'm need to pull them off soon and check things out pretty soon 'cause I'm getting some oil showing on the wheels. I'm pretty sure I didn't use the gaskets when I rebuilt them in '05-'06. The path for the elimination of oil or grease is sort of deceptive. So........I stand corrected, it looks like the thin gaskets are, indeed necessary, front and rear, 3100 and 3600.
DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 06/08/2014 1:33 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 156 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 156 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 98 | Awww,geez! I had one all apart last year, it was a total mess and rebuilt everything...with the exception of this diflector & gasket. This is the first I have heard about it an dnow I've got to go back and tear it all apart again to make it right. I pays to read every thread on this site, thank you oj
A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | A shop is where you wash your hands before you pee. I always heard it "you can tell what kind of job you have by whether you wash your hands before or after you pee". 
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,122 | Well...I guess I too messed up in redoing my '46 project. These paper gaskets were also in place on the old parts. It never occurred to me these were needed. Guess I better get into rework mode. Oh dirty word dirty word!!!!!  ! | | |
| |