If you have the PTO turn a Flat Belt Pulley you can run any old farm epuipment powered that way like a Buck Saw, Rock Crusher, Thrasher, Corn Sheller, Hay Conveyor, Cement Mixer, etc...
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
About the only thing that is practical to run with a PTO is some kind of pump or a winch. We used PTO chain driven winches years ago. Unless you want one to be period correct, they have been made obsolete by hydraulic and electric winches. In order to run a flat belt you would probably have to run a shaft to the rear of the vehicle with pillow blocks. PTO's are not made for a pulley mounted directly to them. It would also not be very practical, but. but the whole thing is a hobby. I have a 41 and a 46 GMC 1 1/2 ton. They both have the sliding gear transmissions. PTOs are very rare for these transmissions.
My father got his first PTO on a 1948 model to pump off gasoline. Before that, he had Lawson engines mounted at the back of the truck with brass flex pipe running to the front of the truck to prevent sparks. They had rope starters. Sometimes they started. Sometimes they didn't.
what about driving a generator? Ive seen PTO generators made for tractors. You could then use a welder, or air compressor, or whatever. something like this
Just pulling out the throttle would not control the speed close enough. Tractors have something similar to what we used to call a Pierce governor. I once rigged a 248 GMC engine with a pierce governor to use on a pneumatic blower. Even though the water temp stayed under 180, the exhaust temperature got so hot that the exhaust manifold crumbled. I have a DG6E Baldor Diesel generator that I use for power tools. I have a Miller Trailblazer 440 with a 4 cylinder Perkins that I use for heavier current. I think if you want a generator you just buy one. I don't like gasoline driven ones because the gas is usually stale when you need them. A tractor can be set at a constant 540 PTO RPM, but you would need something like a Pierce governor on your truck and then disconnect it when you want to drive.