| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,483 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 124 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 124 | I am going to be starting some cab rust repair this coming weekend and I've been pondering removing the cab. Ideally the easiest access would be to rest the cab on it's back to deal with replacing the outer sections of cab supports; however someone on another forum said it's not a good idea because the cab wasn't made to rest on it's back and you can cause it to shift. The cab is actually pretty solid. The only rust it has is the driver rocker and cab corner and the very outer few inches of the cab supports. What would be the best thing to do to deal with this? Thanks | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | laying the cab on its back [gently and well supported] works fine, lots of us have done it
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 124 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 124 | Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Any tips for keeping it well supported?
For lifting I was thinking of using the seat mount holes with a chain and the lift boom attachment on my tractor which is much like a engine hoist/cherry picker. Not sure how I can safely get it on it's back--maybe get some help unless I can figure a way to lift the cab from the front some how with the lift boom? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | I am going to be starting some cab rust repair this coming weekend and I've been pondering removing the cab. If the truck is currently a driver I'd suggest leaving the cab on the truck unless you are planning a very extensive rebuild / restoration. Nothing kills a project quicker than taking the truck entirely apart... Just something to keep in mind, FWIW. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 124 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 124 | I hear you Hot Rod John. It is a driver and my goal is to keep it as a clean original driver. The thing is there's pros and cons either way. The hardest thing will be doing overhead grinding and welding on those floor supports if I leave it on. If I take it off then I have to deal with another set of possible issues. I might try working on those floor braces with the cab on first and see how that goes. I will have to get me a proper welding jacket. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | I would not lift using the seat attachment. If you mean using bolts into the threaded holes. They very possibly will not be designed to hold the weight. Later on in the design world, seats were made to stay put during an accident and the seat belts were attached to them. But that was not developed in your era I believe. Lift from under at the "strong points" or strap it. It is possible to strap thru the doors/roof but.... I don't do that. Most repair shops will fix it on the truck by crawling around and getting burnt. Any cotton shirt will work.(for a while). Stop, Drop and Roll. Bill lifts his Panels with a fork lift thru the back but uses lumber to spread the load. There is a lot of work to "disconnect" a body/cab. I agree with HRJ to leave it on.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | |
| |
| |